Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Best Indian restaurant/take away

Where are the best places to have a meal or drink locally?

Postby old lutonian » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:37 am

Eight of us went to Raj Gate just after Christmas and I have to agree it was brilliant! It cost £119 for entire meal with drinks which I thought very reasonable. :D
old lutonian

Postby ampthilldweller » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:06 pm

I go to the Arena maybe once a month or more for the last 4 or 5 years I guess because they are very good with the kids - our youngest had his first korma there when he was 2 and a half !

I prefer the presentation of the food although it is not usually as spicy as the same dish would be in other Indians but that is fine with me. Also there are no hot plates or the sprogs to burn themselves on.

I've had slow service once last year and mentioned it to Maruf the owner and he inserted appropriate rockets in to backsides and it was back on par within a few minutes !

Went to the Alameda a few months ago as part of a large group outing and it was fine too but the place is a big space and can feel a bit empty.

I haven't been to the Rajgate since the smoking ban but it was hard back then to get away from the smoke.

If eating late at night without taking the kids there isn't usually the large numbers of mouthy chavs eff'ing & blinding at the tops of their voices at the Arena compared to both Alameda and the Rajgate - maybe its that bit further away / out of sight as they fall out of the pubs and decide on a curry :-)......and yes I too have fallen in to a curry house in the past with one too many beers in me but never seen the need to be rude to the staff or not care about my language offending other diners .
ampthilldweller

Postby McDouglas » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:00 pm

I have to agree with the positive comments made about the Arena. I was only there last night. 14 of us celebrated a friends 42nd birthday and the food was fantastic. Yes the service was a bit slow, but it fitted in with the relaxed mood of the party. When served the food not only tasted fantastic but was hot and presented well.
One of our party has apparently never tried an Indian meal and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I would also take the opportunity to recommend the special duck passandra. The chicken chilli naan bread is also superb.
Congratulations to Marouf and all his team at the Arena.
McDouglas

Postby Firefly » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:31 pm

We were at the Arena on Friday night.

Superb food :D (as always)

Sadly lacking in the service department :(

They didn't get a tip this time.
~*Rachel*~
Firefly

Postby sarek7 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:33 pm

I went to the Alameda Friday night with a couple of mates. We were the only three in there.
Food was excellent, one of the best curries I have had for a long time.
sarek7

Postby froggy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:48 pm

We had a takeaway from the rajgate last night,was very yummy indeed,we will be going in there to eat soon.....
Trying is the first step towards failure!
froggy

Postby Fortytwa » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:52 pm

If I was a cynic I would probably be so bold as to suggest that the service is deliberately paced to encourage diners to drink perhaps more than they intended.

My experience is there is no shortage of waiter asking if you want more drink - I despise myself for being so weak in that department!!!

But when you get them you cant fault the meals
Fortytwa

Postby froggy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:44 pm

i have to be honest and say i dont mind a slighty slower pace,i hate to feel rushed and am happy to be there a little longer.
Trying is the first step towards failure!
froggy

Re: Best Indian restaurant/take away

Postby Paradise_Alley » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:45 pm

The Rajgate gained a few points with me over the festive period with a VERY NICE meal. Even nicer as someone else very kindly footed the bill.
They also have some crab dishes, one of which I tried (crab puree - starter) and it was most agreeable.

Recommended - Yes
Will go again - Yes
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby Fortytwa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:40 pm

I was forced into the arena again on xmas eve.

Quality time was had by all, although was starting to get busy with loud mouth yoofs.

My father really enjoyed the pheasant dish they had. I had the usual lamb with chick peas. Top quality fart fodder for the next day.

I do like the manager coming round and offering complimentary drinks - which I could'nt take part in this time as was driving.

Tempted to try the Raj Gate though reading reviews here.
Fortytwa

Postby Fortytwa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:29 pm

Went to the Arena on Saturday night despite my suggestion that we try the Raj Gate.

Meal was ok, not up to usual standards
Fortytwa

Postby sarek7 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:18 pm

New one is open tonight I hear (IT guy at work who lives in Henlow!). Free meal tonight only and first drink free*

*Free in this context means a donation to charity, I'm told.
sarek7

Postby sizzla » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Now I know why people were queuing outside at 6pm. At least you know it's freshly made!
sizzla

Postby mickmc » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Has anyone been to the new indian? - What is it like - any different from the others?
mickmc

Postby Paradise_Alley » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Following my recent desire for something spicy (see other thread on new Indian restaurant), I maxed out on garlicky comestibles from the Rajgate.
Chicken Garlic Chilli Massala - 8/10 lots of garlic and whole small chillies - not too spicy apart from the chillies which were a bit SPIKY
Garlic mushrooms
Garlic and cheese nan.
This was all VERY NICE INDEED and all evening, and the next day as well, I was somewhat TURBOCHARGED with GARLIC GOODNESS.
That is all.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

PreviousNext

Return to Eating & Drinking