Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Sloe Gin

Where are the best places to have a meal or drink locally?

Sloe Gin

Postby Fortytwa » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:01 am

Was out early this morning gathering sloes.

Easy recipe is 1lb of sloes, bottle of cheap gin, 1 -2 oz of sugar.

First of all freeze the sloes. This allows the quick release of colour and flavours from the fruits.

In a largeish bottle (I use a bottle I think designed to store dried pasta, has a seal and grolsh type lid - £3 from Asda).

Slap the sloes in the bottle with the gin and I like to start off with about 1oz of sugar. Mix together and bingo at xmas time you have some sloe gin. The sugar will settle to the bottom - every couple of days mix carefully. I use the handle of a wooden spoon.

After a month or so - taste. You may want to add some more sugar. If you have added too much at the start - you cant take it out.

When its ready strain through muslin or clean tea towel - dont squeeze the fruit it will make the brew cloudy.

As for finding the little beautys. The easiest access around here is into Millbrook from the A507 at the junction turn left. You will start dropping down the hill towards Millbrook proving ground. Before the bottom of the hill is a car park on the left. Might be signposted the Greensand Ridge Walk. Walk up the path - there are plenty. :Be

I have a brew on the go for xmas - with cinamon and brown sugar in - just to see how it goes. Also used the same recipe with cherry plums and damsons.
Fortytwa

Re: Sloe Gin

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:28 am

There was a recipe for blackberry whisky in the paper a few weeks ago...was tempted to try with another spirit, but didn't get around to it. We have an excess of dark rum from Jamaica as we one a few small bottles
CraftsbyCarolyn

Return to Eating & Drinking