Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Dry January fury at Queens Head

Where are the best places to have a meal or drink locally?

Dry January fury at Queens Head

Postby Chorradas » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:03 pm

I see the Daily Star had a story this morning about the landlord of the Queen's Head in Ampthill.

Date 04 February 2016 Page 6
Nanny State driving out our boozers
BLAST BY PUB BOSS
A FUMING landlord has accused Britain’s medical chief of ruining the pub trade.
Richard Hammond claims his sales fell 50% last month after Chief Medi- cal Officer Dame Sally Davies urged people to go on the wagon in support of the Dry January campaign.
And he branded her a “miserable killjoy” after she told women to think about breast cancer every time they have a glass of wine.
Richard, who runs the Queen’s Head in Ampthill, Beds, said her warning was damaging publicans’ livelihoods.
He added: “I lost about half my custom- ers. Now Dry January is over, we’ll have more people giving up booze for Lent.
“Britain’s pubs are already struggling to survive. We don’t need Dame Sally and a bunch of miserable killjoys poking their noses in and making things worse.
“Some of these puritanical do-gooders would like to see alcohol banned altogether. The miserable blighters only seem happy when everybody else is miserable too. First it was smoking, now drinking.
“Next they’ll try to stop us from eating meat and tell us all to become vegetarians.”
Dame Sally warned that even one pint a week can raise the risk of cancer and many drinkers do- nated the money they would have spent on alcohol during the month to charity.
But Richard fumed: “There’s no blooming charity for us landlords.”
Chorradas

Re: Dry January fury at Queens Head

Postby Chorradas » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:23 am

A fuller version in the Times & Citizen with a photo of landlord Richard Hammond

http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/comm ... -1-7200009
Chorradas

Postby SCRABBLER » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Why anybody takes any notice of these latter- day soothsayers I have no idea. Everything in moderation and you can't go far wrong.
SCRABBLER

Postby Chorradas » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:08 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:Why anybody takes any notice of these latter- day soothsayers I have no idea. Everything in moderation and you can't go far wrong.

I'll drink to that!
Chorradas

Postby Algernon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Why is it that the only two public houses in Ampthill that seem to get a mention on this site and in the local papers are the Queen's Head and the Albion? What is wrong with the other pubs like the Sun, the Ossory, the Prince of Wales and the Engine&Tender? Does nobody from here go in those?
Algernon

Postby sizzla » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:52 am

Algernon wrote:Why is it that the only two public houses in Ampthill that seem to get a mention on this site and in the local papers are the Queen's Head and the Albion?

The reason is that one of these is a very good and popular pub, and the other is the local of someone who controls about half the active accounts on here.
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:12 pm

sizzla wrote: and the other is the local of someone who controls about half the active accounts on here.

Not sure what you mean by that Sizzla?
Not like you at all to say something like that!!
SCRABBLER

Postby Algernon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:20 pm

sizzla wrote:The reason is that one of these is a very good and popular pub, and the other is the local of someone who controls about half the active accounts on here.

The Queen's Head is a very popular pub? I've only been in once and it wasn't very busy. Not sure what you mean that someone controls half the active accounts but if so the rest of you mustn't have much to say for yourselves because it seems very quiet
Algernon

Postby Chorradas » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:06 am

Now the story about "Dry January" at the Queen's Head has appeared in the Morning Advertiser, the publicans' newspaper.

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Lega ... guidelines
Chorradas

Postby groutman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Chorradas wrote:Richard Hammond claims his sales fell 50%

Does that mean 50% less than last year, or 50% less than in December?

I would suggest that one reason for sales to drop in January, is that after the spending spree for Christmas/New Year, people are 'spent out', & have to follow it with a period of restraint, especially when the credit card bills start to arrive.
Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
groutman

Postby Chorradas » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:41 am

The Queen's Head story was the lead item on Anglia TV news on Saturday after they interviewed the landlord and some of the regulars at lunchtime. I believe Three Counties Radio are going round to do the story today (Monday). So pop in for a pint, folks, and you could end up on the radio. Your five minutes of fame!
Chorradas

Postby Chorradas » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:33 am

This story has now been picked up by the Morning Advertiser, the publicans' trade newspaper with the rather wordy headline "Licensee accuses medical experts of 'eroding pub culture' after his takings drop 50% in January".
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Lega ... guidelines

It quotes landlord Richard Hammond as saying: "I have been told by priests there is more Christian spirit in my pub than in the church... We're not all irresponsible hooligans ... We do fantastic things for the local community, for anyone and everyone."

Good on ya, Rich!
Chorradas

Postby Costalot » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:20 pm

I would suggest that one reason for sales to drop in January, is that after the spending spree for Christmas/New Year, people are 'spent out', & have to follow it with a period of restraint, especially when the credit card bills start to arrive.

Plus a very cliquey pub. If you're not one of the in crowd you're not made particularly welcome :cry: :roll: :oops: :x
Costalot

Postby Chorradas » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:17 am

Costalot wrote:Plus a very cliquey pub. If you're not one of the in crowd you're not made particularly welcome

I would dispute that Costalot. I find it one of the friendliest, most down-to-earth pubs in the town. There is never any trouble, the landlord is always cheery (well usually!) as are his bar staff, and it is small enough that everybody, if they wish, can be drawn into conversation. Try it. If I'm in, I might even buy you a pint.
Chorradas

Return to Eating & Drinking