Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Up the queen's

Where are the best places to have a meal or drink locally?

Up the queen's

Postby Chorradas » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:13 am

Apparently they're backing Brexit at the Queen's Head

http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/comm ... -1-7442465

Regulars at the Queen’s Head pub in Ampthill are being urged to vote for Brexit in Thursday’s EU referendum because they fear mandarins in Brussels could order them to change the pub’s name to “Chancellor Merkel’s Head” if the public votes to stay in the EU.

Patriotic landlord Richard Hammond, 55, said: “We’re not having any of that. Up the Queen.”
Chorradas

Re: Up the queen's

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:56 am

Here, Here!!
SCRABBLER

Postby Costalot » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:01 pm

I presume 'Remainers' are not welcome anymore

:Be :Be :Be :Be :Be :Be :Be :Be :Be :Be :Be

No great loss there
Costalot

Postby jacq » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Costalot wrote:I presume 'Remainers' are not welcome anymore

No great loss there

:ba

Maybe an age thing? I get the impression the over 70s were for Brexit so that they could go back to the 1970's
jacq

Postby Chorradas » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:50 pm

No great loss there

Come, come, Costalot. What an extremely mean thing to say. Some of my best friends are "Remainers". And I am sure they will be made as welcome as anybody else by the Queen's Head's landlord. Quite right too. They're not bad people just because they lost the vote.
Chorradas

Postby jacq » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Chorradas wrote:

No great loss there

Come, come, Costalot. What an extremely mean thing to say. Some of my best friends are "Remainers". And I am sure they will be made as welcome as anybody else by the Queen's Head's landlord. Quite right too. They're not bad people just because they lost the vote.

The under 70s then
jacq

Postby mickmc » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:40 am

I notice that some people are on here trying to blame people over 70 for Brexit - I voted to remain and the only people that I know that voted out are all in their early 20's .Sometime it's better to accept defeat with grace otherwise you come across as being bitter and small minded.
mickmc

Postby Hammer64 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 am

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/clearly shows that the majority of older voters opted for Leave.

"The older the voters, the more likely they were to have voted to leave the EU. Nearly three quarters (73%) of 18 to 24 year-olds voted to remain, falling to under two thirds (62%) among 25-34s. A majority of those aged over 45 voted to leave, rising to 60% of those aged 65 or over. Most people with children aged ten or under voted to remain; most of those with children aged 11 or older voted to leave."

Although myself in the 65-plus group, I am a despondent Remain supporter. What saddens me are the trivial reasons some Leave voters are giving:
• “The EU will make us drive on the right”
• Somebody blaming the closure of a traditional bakers on a Polish delicatessen two doors away. The baker’s former customers are probably now buying their bread from a supermarket.
• Question to a Leave voter – “What will happen after Brexit?”. Answer “ I don’t know”.
• During my fruitless leaflet-delivering – “There will be £350,000,000 a week to spend on the NHS”

Despite having been happy to have been photographed in front of the battle-bus, Ian Duncan-Smith has since back-tracked on this "promise".
Hammer64

Postby Chorradas » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:12 pm

But surely one lesson we have learnt from all this, Hammer64, is that we can't trust the blooming polls. Even Lord Ashcroft's. If we could trust what the opinon polls told us, we would still have been a member of the EU and we would have voted in another hung parliament at the last general election.
Chorradas

Postby Hammer64 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:36 pm

These were post-referendum polls, reflecting actual voting:

"The UK has voted to leave the European Union. On referendum day I surveyed 12,369 people after they had voted to help explain the result – who voted for which outcome, and what lay behind their decision."
Hammer64

Return to Eating & Drinking