Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Sight Concern

Things to join and get involved in. Includes sports clubs and local charities

Sight Concern

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:57 pm

are in the T & C this week asking for volunteers to make home visits to help blind or partially sighted people.

http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/toda ... _1_3454167

Published on Saturday 28 January 2012 07:00

A CHARITY that supports blind and partially-sighted people is appealing for more volunteers to come forward.

Sight Concern, which has an office in Ampthill Road, Bedford, is desperately looking for more people to carry out home visits, because it currently cannot take on any new clients due to its low number of volunteers.

The charity offers support to people across the county, with home visits, telephone befrienders, social club The Seasaw Club in Ampthill and low-vision clinics. But it says its waiting list for home visitors is too long.

And it has expressed fears that if nobody comes forward the charity will be unable to reach out to new people.

Volunteer coordinator Joanna Clark said: “We desperately need volunteers, especially home visitors. We currently have a long waiting lost of people wanting that service and we don’t have enough volunteers to accommodate them.

“If nobody comes forward we are worried that we will not be able to offer that service to people who don’t already use it, which would be a huge shame. It’s a benefit to people who are often isolated and lonely. It’s about the company and we want to offer that service to as many people as we can.”

Volunteer home visitor Alison Archer, 62, currently spends one afternoon every fortnight visiting Phillis Millard who is partially blind,

She said: “I have been volunteering for about six years now and I come and spend a couple of hours with Phillis. We do crosswords and puzzles and just have a bit of a chat really. It’s really rewarding and Phillis is a lovely, kind-hearted woman. It’s a pleasure coming to see her.”

Phillis, 81, who lives in Central Beds, started to lose her sight in her 40s when she was diagnosed with a condition that affects the back of her eyes, Over time her eyesight gradually became worse and now she can only make out shapes and some colours.

She said: “It’s very lonely for me, my only company is my family and Alison. If I didn’t have my visits from Alison I would be completely isolated.

“I can’t get about on my own, so sometimes she’s my only link to the outside world. Sight Concern has been a lifeline for me.”

Phillis also attends The Seasaw Club once a week where coffee and cake are served and she gets the chance to meet with other blind and partially-sighted people.

Anyone who would like to become a volunteer or to find out more call 01234 264023.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Return to Clubs and Societies