Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

1960s memories

Memories of Ampthill....
or maybe trying to trace an old friend or relative
...any local history in fact

1960s memories

Postby bminney » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Found this forum by accident (I was trying to remember the butchers shop next to Pennys in the 1960s). I moved to Ampthill in 1957 I think (I was only 4!) and went to the White School and taught by Ms Lemon and then Ms Grimmer,. We lived at top of Station Street and played in the big and little "Firs". I recall the old boys who used to sit on the bench by the wall opposite Engine & Tender. There was Albert and some other chap always wore a bowler hat. They would sometimes give us kids comics. I remember Jock Thompson and the cats sitting in the open sweets, Consumers selling broken biscuits, Stan Dellars two shops, Dudney & Johnstones.....
We moved to the new bungalows in Cedar Close in 1959 (I think).

Youth clubs in Baptist and Methodist churches, Jack the fish & chip shop next to the Old Sun, playing in the sandbanks in Summerfields land, the old Kilty dump (?spelling) and wierdly being warned not to play in Ampthill Woods because of a bogeyman.

Still, they werre happy days from an innocent time.

I left the area in 1975.
bminney

Re: 1960s memories

Postby oceanbreeze » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Lovely memories there, a little before my time as I arrived in 1969. I remember the broken biscuits from International stores, weighed up and popped into a brown paper bag. I remember the cat sitting in the open sweets too! However, I cannot identify the old kitty dump--where was that?
Ampthill woods and the bogeyman--well there was dear Freddie who would pop out of the blackberry bushes in the Park--completely harmless bless him.

Many changes since you left in 1975.
oceanbreeze

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:44 am

bminney wrote:I was trying to remember the butchers shop next to Pennys in the 1960s)

I think I am right in saying that it was Baxters - a butchery chain of the 60's - and I remember the man who ran the shop
was short, a rather red faced plump man who always wore a "pork-pie" hat.

Welcome to the Forum by the way :) :)
SCRABBLER

Postby bminney » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Baxters, possibly. Your description is about right.
I've had a look on Google map and the Kilty (or Quilty I think) was where The Coppins is now. It was a long time ago now.
bminney

Postby LasagneMan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:36 pm

You folks might like to go and watch this 10 minute home movie of Ampthill around 1969.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/britain-on-fil ... Ampthill//

Clive
Was still reading the Daily Mail online to make sure I've not yet become a grumpy old man.
Then one day, I found I was screaming at the screen.
Now banned from a coffee shop :-)
LasagneMan

Postby oceanbreeze » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:47 pm

Hats, headscarves, duffle coats ,babies wearing bonnets, VW Beetles and Vauxhall cars---- seems a world away , yet I remember that day so clearly !!

I suppose one could say that it started a rollercoaster of growth which may or may not be such a good thing.
oceanbreeze

Postby SCRABBLER » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:16 pm

What an interesting bit of our History captured on film by Peter Sykes, who ran his dental practice from 9 Church Street (first floor) and from where
most of this film has been taken. Mr Parmiter is captured going down the side of his Ironmongers Shop and you can see quite clearly the meat
hanging up in the window of Everitts - now Richardsons the Jewellers.
As it says in the "blurb" accompanying the film, it did take 14 years for the By Pass to be opened (1983). The Government was responsible for the necessary
grant, and it was not until Lynda Chalker became Minister for the Environment did Bedfordshire get the money to do the work, that would have been
79/80. She had personal first hand local knowledge of the problems and it was because of this I think she saw how necessary the grant was to relieve the Town.
SCRABBLER

Return to Days gone by....