Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreAmpthill Brewhouse

Crime

The latest news and gossip about what's happening in Ampthill.

Crime

Postby willow steve » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:46 am

Have just received a letter to say our household has been selected to be interviewed for the Crime Survey for England and Wales, and that got me thinking...

Obviously I see reports in the media, but personally I've never been directly affected by crime. I have never seen any untoward activity in those areas flagged as suffering from anti-social behaviour. I'm not into - and know nothing about - drugs, so I wouldn't recognize any potential dealer lurking on a street corner. I do not feel nervous or at risk when walking about town. Is this unusual?

What are your views?
willow steve

Re: Crime

Postby sizzla » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:04 pm

In my view, crime in this country is massively overhyped by the usual suspects (Daily Fail, Express, etc.). In places like Ampthill especially the vast majority of people are not affected. Even if you go to a supposed no-go area like Moss Side or Hackney you are going to be fine going about your business any time of the day or night, unless you specifically go looking for trouble, or are incredibly unlucky.

As for dealers on street corners, it just doesn't work like that in most places. Much of the trade has always between networks of friends, or via dealers at pubs and clubs. Working a corner might be good business in Baltimore or Bogota but it's not going to work in Ampthill! The same with burglary - most people have little of value at home so why risk it? Better to boost a prestige car, or better still a truckload of mobile phones.

I'm not saying we should belittle the trauma of those who have been affected by crime, but we shouldn't live in perpetual fear either.
sizzla

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:10 pm

I know a few places that have been broken into in Ampthill, and following one of the incidents we were visited by crime prevention officer.

But apart from that I have not personally experienced crime through anti social behaviour etc, but I am sure my lifestyle adds to that, not out late at night etc as a general rule.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Moaning git » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:55 am

If anyone does see any drug dealers on Ampthill street corners, please could they let me know whereabouts. The towns been lacking a good drugs dealer ever since they turned the White Hart from a den of inequity into a posh bar and restaurant. But only if the drugs are any good, I know it's a middle class bane but it's so frustrating to find out your cocaine is in actual fact a mixture of talcum powder, junior Anadin and Daz washing powder.
Moaning git

Postby willow steve » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:24 am

Interview has now taken place.

Very brief summary of what was discussed. What were my perceptions of, and had I been a victim of crime? I've not had any experience... Have I been the receiving end of any violence (particularly of a sexual nature)... nope. Then a long list of illegal substances, a lot of which I had never heard of... again, no experience.

Interviewer didn't comment on how common these sorts of responses were...
willow steve

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:35 pm

wonder when the results are to be published, and why you were picked :)
CraftsbyCarolyn

Return to What's Happening