Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Chimney demolition approved

The latest news and gossip about what's happening in Ampthill.

Chimney demolition approved

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:13 am

CraftsbyCarolyn

Re: Chimney demolition approved

Postby oceanbreeze » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:09 pm

Well that thumbs a snook at the listing proceedure! If they absolutely have to come down then, as I have remarked somewhere previously, I would hope that the developer would fund a Museum logging the history of the brickworks and paying tribute to the many people who worked there over the years. Local people, and including the Italian and Polish Community who all worked hard to get the country up and running after the war years. Many suffered
ill health in their later years as a result of inhaling the brick dust and working in the extreme heat as the kilns were fired up.

Bedford Borough seems hell bent on chucking its history away.
oceanbreeze

Postby groutman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:59 pm

In Northampton some years ago, we had a similar issue with the Northampton 'lighthouse', which was a listed structure (it was actually a lift testing tower).

The developers, who wanted to build flats/houses commissioned a survey which concluded that the 'lighthouse' was unsafe, as it was suffering from 'concrete cancer', & needed to be demolished for safety reasons.

I do not know the exact details, but another survey was done, & must have found that it was not unsafe, as it is still standing today, but surrounded by flats.

I do not know whether these chimneys are really unsafe, but it would be sad if they all have to be demolished.
Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
groutman

Postby mickmc » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:24 am

I have to be honest and say that I will not miss them , they are not attractive things and keeping them there is merely for sentimental reasons. As for a museum I'm not sure who would want to visit it other than the people that used to work there or someone with a niche interest. Perhaps something at each end of the new estate to remind people of what used to be there would be a nice idea - I don't have any ideas as to what - maybe people could come up with some thoughts ?
mickmc

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:40 am

Bedford museum has quite a section on local lives, it does code the chimneys I think.

Not sure a museum in stewartby would attract visitors. But think they should have something there to remind everyone of the past.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Komponant » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Not to worry we will soon have a 300ft brand new one ☝️
Komponant

Postby oceanbreeze » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Komponant wrote:Not to worry we will soon have a 300ft brand new one ☝️

TOUCHE !
oceanbreeze

Postby SCRABBLER » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:59 am

I wonder whatever happened to the dynasourus, or was it a platisourus, (I never know which is which) whose remains were found in the area of Stewartby.
I remember that the Brick Company had a replica displayed proudly on one of their walls as you walked into their Reception area.
I suppose you could say that that was the true history of the area. The Brick Company, chimneys etc., were all recent history and within our
own time span.
SCRABBLER

Return to What's Happening