Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreAmpthill Brewhouse

Nadine

Latest news and views from and about our local politicians
or make a post about something you want to raise about the local Councils

Re: Nadine

Postby sizzla » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:21 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:Although we still four days to go until polling I have had no one knocking on my door to canvas me for my vote. Not a single political party activist
of any shade has been seen. :dz

It's just not a sensible use of party resources. Bedfordshire Mid is the 43rd safest conservative constituency. Even with Nadine as candidate, and people finally realising how weak and wobbly May's team is, the vast majority of people here will vote Conservative.

Why they do this, I do not know. Other than the Duke of Bedford, I don't think of any of the top 1% that stand to benefit from Conservative policies live around here.

It's still worth voting against them though. Share of the vote is important - don't forget that UKIP achieved their aims with a large share of the vote but no elected MPs.
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:35 am

Sizzla, you are not old enough to remember Mr Chamberlain and the piece of paper he waived about having returned from Germany with what he thought
was an agreement for peace between our two countries. And what happened? Hitler declared War.
Now if we are to believe Mr Corbyn and his approach to possible aggressors and how he would try to negotiate etc., then I really think we had
better think again. We really do not want another Mr Chamberlain. In this very uncertain world that we live in today, possible aggressors must be left
in no doubt that we will not roll over at the slightest provocation. This is, I am afraid, is what is happening with these terrorist attacks. It's intimidation,
a softening up process, which I would hope will be resisted by whoever enters Downing Street on Thursday, and one we will meet head on and not
flinch from. We must show solidarity and strength - there is absolutely no room for weakness of any kind.
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Security spending, NATO membership, and co-operation with EU not in question according to Labour manifesto.

However, Theresa May plans cuts, supports Trump who is seeking to weaken NATO, and she seems to delight in giving the finger to European neighbours while sucking up to the Saudis.

Worth thinking about, if you really do live in fear of possible aggressors.
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 am

sizzla wrote:Trump who is seeking to weaken NATO

I have no particular love for Mr Trump BUT he is not seeking to weakening NATO, he just wants the other Members who are not paying their fair
share of the cost to step up to the plate. I am glad that we, at least, are paying our fair share, but why do some of the Other countries such as
Germany feel they do not have to? And yes Mrs May has made cuts and whoever gets into No.10 will have to continue to do so. The last Labour
Government actually boasted that they had left "No money in the Kitty", so what were the incoming Government supposed to do?? I am afraid
Sizzla, a lot of people have short memories. Yes, of course, we are fed up with the cuts but to go on a spending spree such as Mr Corbyn is
advocating will not help us in the long run.
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:08 am

Well Trump has called NATO "obsolete" and refused to confirm the mutual protection pact, but I guess it's difficult to know what he really thinks because he's not the most consistent.

As for the economy, the Conservatives haven't done great over the past seven years. Government debt has kept on rising and everyone's got poorer except the super wealthy and pensioners. And we know they have plans for pensioners after the election.

Anyway, it's been fun debating with you Scrabbler. Whatever happens nationally I think we can be safe in the knowledge that Nadine will still be our MP ...

Happy voting! :Be
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:13 pm

And to you, Sizzla :Be
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:47 pm

...she can go home now....her job is done :)
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Chorradas » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:52 pm

See you again in five years, Nadine. Unless Mrs May calls an election earlier
Chorradas

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:40 am

The Constituency has been Conservative since the 1930s when Lennox-Boyd stood against the Liberal incombent. It has been Conservative
ever since and this time Nadine even increased her vote. So did the Labour candidate, but she came nowhere near. So even if Mrs May
were to call another election very soon, the chances of the Constituency changing hands would seem very slim indeed.
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:55 am

It looks like Nadine has once again been overlooked for a cabinet position. How strange after so many year in parliament. It's almost as if Mrs May thinks she's no good.
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:03 pm

sizzla wrote:It's almost as if Mrs May thinks she's no good.

Like the man said "You say that, but I couldn't possibly comment" :)
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 am

sizzla wrote:It looks like Nadine has once again been overlooked for a cabinet position. How strange after so many year in parliament. It's almost as if Mrs May thinks she's no good.

))

and Mrs May seem to be struggling a little.....
CraftsbyCarolyn

Previous

Return to Local Politics