Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreAmpthill Brewhouse

May Day

Ampthill's beautiful and historic amenity

May Day

Postby Clarrie » Tue May 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Who got up at dawn yesterday to watch the May Day celebrations in the park? This is on the Beds on Sunday website

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/in-p ... story.html
Clarrie

Re: May Day

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed May 03, 2017 11:32 am

Not me, Clarrie, but by the look of the pictures of the Morris Dancers et al, neither did they! Dawn is when the light is only just breaking - in the pictures
it looks as if dawn had come and gone. However, I take me garlanded hat off to all those went to the Park to celebrate.
Whatever happened to dancing round the Maypole. I remember as a child - before May 1 was a Bank Holiday - we would all dress up and dance round the
Maypole at school. Not only that, we practiced weeks beforehand so that we did not get all the ribbons in a tangle on the day. I don't suppose they do that at school these days.
SCRABBLER

Re: May Day

Postby pantomime cow » Wed May 03, 2017 12:03 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:Whatever happened to dancing round the Maypole. I don't suppose they do that at school these days.

Probably not allowed any more under health and safety rules. All those ribbons. Could be very dangerous, you know, if one child tripped up or got the ribbon wrapped around his or her neck.
pantomime cow

Return to Ampthill Park