Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Hard to be-leaf

Ampthill's beautiful and historic amenity

Hard to be-leaf

Postby Charlie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:38 am

The BoS reports how dunderheads at the Royal Mail have failed to include Ampthill Park in a set of new stamps commemorating the 300th anniversary of Capability Brown's birth. I wonder whether this was just some stupid oversight or a direct result of our local councillors' recent decision to hack down half the park's trees.

'Flagship' Bedfordshire park fails to make its stamp
Read more at http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/8203 ... svYvI4g.99
Charlie

Re: Hard to be-leaf

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:59 pm

There was a two page spread in the Sat.Telegraph about C.B and all his works. A very good article.
However, many places were mentioned BUt NOT Amptthill Park. I refuse to call is Ampthill GREAT Park.
I am not sure where the Great comes from, because as Parks go it really is quite small.
I would be interested to know if anyone has ever seen the original Deed of Sale, which would have had it's correct Title.
I rather suspect that had it been called Ampthill Great Park our much lamented local Historian, Andrew Underwood would have drawn our attention to it many moons ago.
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:09 pm

Wrest park didn't make it either, they need more water and bridges to be a real Capability Brown

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/8203 ... story.html

I wonder why they say it is one of his best work?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Charlie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:57 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:I am not sure where the Great comes from, because as Parks go it really is quite small.

Surely the fact that the park is in Ampthill makes it "Great". But you are probably right, Scrabbler. It is tautological. We don't need to add the adjective "Great".

However, I think it was our esteemed town councillors who suddenly began calling it "Ampthill Great Park". And they do usually know what is best.
Charlie

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:40 am

Charlie wrote:However, I think it was our esteemed town councillors who suddenly began calling it "Ampthill Great Park". And they do usually know what is best.

Sometimes you have to wonder!!!
SCRABBLER

Postby Chorradas » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:29 am

I see the BoS published a letter from Charlie about this today
Chorradas

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:35 am

Further to this discussion on Ampthill Park: I think I am right in saying that the land that forms the Park belonged to the Duke of Bedford originally and was
part of the Woburn Estate. The Ampthill Urban District Council purchased the piece of land (now the Park) either in the very late 1800's or the beginning
of the 1900's for the sum of around £2,500, which of course was a fortune in those days. I do not think it was ever titled " Great" but only an Archivst
could say for sure. I know that generations of Ampthillians have gained much from having this green and pleasant space so near at hand and that it is thanks
to those who many years ago had the foresight to purchase it for our benefit.
SCRABBLER

Return to Ampthill Park