Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Ampthill Park Hub Cafe NOW OPEN

Ampthill's beautiful and historic amenity

Ampthill Park Hub Cafe NOW OPEN

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Went there this morning on the way back from our walk and had a coffee. Very friendly man running it and I wish him well. He is doing teas and coffees, sandwiches, bacon rolls, ice creams.

He had only just opened this morning and the filter coffee hadn't started so we had 2 other coffees. Then he got the filter coffee on the go and we tried that too :) He had chairs and tables outside and it was glorious this morning lovely and warm. The kids had just finished footie training and some were getting ice creams and drinks.

He had the papers there too. He is open to suggestions, trying to gauge what would be good. I felt hearty soups on cold days would be good.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Re: Ampthill Park Hub Cafe NOW OPEN

Postby masquerade » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Sounds good - will try to check it out tomorrow - any idea of opening times?
masquerade

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:49 pm

he did tell me - but didn't write them down...but they were roughly -

open every day

9.30 to 4.30 winter 8am to 7pm summer

Free dog biscuits as well - but didn't appeal to us!
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby masquerade » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:43 pm

It was doing a good trade this afternoon - looks like it will be popular with park visitors!
masquerade

Postby louise » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Great place. Looking forward to calling in during the winter when
They have the log burning stove going.
louise

Postby Sveti » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Yes, excellent place. Went in there yesterday, great coffee and really friendly staff.

Hope it does well.
Sveti

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:46 pm

they need some signs to say that they are open - there are massive signs saying there is a children's nursery. I suggested that he needs a sign in the other car park, and it needs doing ASAP, he needs to get some trade before the weather turns and there are less people around. He did say the Council were supposed to be doing something - anyone seen a sign - we didn't go that way on Saturday.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Sveti » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:31 pm

There's a sign by the main road outside the park.
Sveti

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Great - I didn't notice it when I have been passing - just the Merry Poppets sign :)
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby sizzla » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:59 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:Great - I didn't notice it when I have been passing - just the Merry Poppets sign :)

Personally I find the bigger banners in town rather irksome. Not sure how legal they are. Waitrose is biggest offender. Country properties are at it to, but at least they're usually promoting community events, rather than £10 meal deals!
sizzla

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:19 pm

I agree - I think a nice sign stating what facilities are available in the park would be nice.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Sagitar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:24 am

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:they need some signs to say that they are open - there are massive signs saying there is a children's nursery. I suggested that he needs a sign in the other car park, and it needs doing ASAP, he needs to get some trade before the weather turns and there are less people around. He did say the Council were supposed to be doing something - anyone seen a sign - we didn't go that way on Saturday.

My concern since I first heard about the cafe was and is whether it is on a popular route through the park. Did anyone look at traffic patterns before deciding on the location? I suspect that it was put where it is because of the presence of the necessary services.

I live a few minutes from the park and walk there very regularly, but never go through the area where the cafe has been placed. Those people who arrive by car (dog walkers often) generally park in the car park close to the by pass and I see them walk off into the higher ground and return by a similar route. I have not done any proper research and I hope that others can tell a different story.

Comparisons have been made with the cafe in the Harrold Odell Country Park, but there, the visitors centre is very close to the only car park and is on the main route around the park. It is in a position to pick up almost all of the foot traffic around the park and allows car passengers to refresh themselves on arrival or just before leaving.

My fear is that it is not just a question of signage, but of trying to persuade the users of the park to change their behaviour.

I would really like to see the cafe succeed, but I think it might attract more custom if placed close to the main car park?
Sagitar

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:40 am

I was in the Car Park near the By Pass yesterday afternoon. Certainly then, there were no visible signs indicating the Ampthill Hub and it's services. However, there were "Walls" ice cream flags dotted about - BUT no sign of anyone selling the product!!! On the other point of siting, the Hub has probably been sited in a place where sewerage and water can be obtained as easily as possible in order to cut costs of the building project. I know from previous experience, that sewering in the Park has presented a problem in the past, and was one of the difficulties with the old toilets. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Sagitar wrote:
CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:they need some signs to say that they are open - there are massive signs saying there is a children's nursery. I suggested that he needs a sign in the other car park, and it needs doing ASAP, he needs to get some trade before the weather turns and there are less people around. He did say the Council were supposed to be doing something - anyone seen a sign - we didn't go that way on Saturday.

My concern since I first heard about the cafe was and is whether it is on a popular route through the park. Did anyone look at traffic patterns before deciding on the location? I suspect that it was put where it is because of the presence of the necessary services.

I live a few minutes from the park and walk there very regularly, but never go through the area where the cafe has been placed. Those people who arrive by car (dog walkers often) generally park in the car park close to the by pass and I see them walk off into the higher ground and return by a similar route. I have not done any proper research and I hope that others can tell a different story.

Comparisons have been made with the cafe in the Harrold Odell Country Park, but there, the visitors centre is very close to the only car park and is on the main route around the park. It is in a position to pick up almost all of the foot traffic around the park and allows car passengers to refresh themselves on arrival or just before leaving.

My fear is that it is not just a question of signage, but of trying to persuade the users of the park to change their behaviour.

I would really like to see the cafe succeed, but I think it might attract more custom if placed close to the main car park?

I agree, it tends to be locals using the play facilities that use that car park. Walkers/visitors seem to go to the other one more. I don't think the chap who is running it is from Ampthill, and I did say he needs to tap into some of the groups that run walks etc and at least let them know it is there. The car park isn't as attractive as the other and looks more like the football club car park.

I told customers on the market today - no one had heard of it...so hopefully they will tell someone else!
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Why hasn't there been an Official Opening and the attendant publicity? I am sure the Mayor would have liked to have been seen "cutting the tape" so to speak. And with a little help from T&C and BoS it would get a bit of a send off. Or perhaps, on the other hand, the Ampthill T.C. doesn't want the extra publicity in case of "over use" of the facilities!!! :AA
SCRABBLER

Next

Return to Ampthill Park