Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

List on historic England

Ampthill's beautiful and historic amenity

Re: List on historic England

Postby oceanbreeze » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Well spotted! and it clears up some of the facts.
oceanbreeze

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:03 pm

Yes, very interesting. However, I don't wish to be "picky" but the historical facts do not say when Ampthill Park passed into the ownership of
Ampthill Urban District Council. Especially as this is given as a Legacy Record.
Much is made of all the historical facts, including those of Lancelot Brown's employment in the 1700's
King Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon etc etc, but a more up-to-date historical fact is missing. It is after all now over 100 years since the
ownership of the Park passed into the control of Local Government, surely this should have been noted. Ampthill House is referred to as passing
into private ownership (1997) as part of the Record.
SCRABBLER

Postby oceanbreeze » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Yes, Scrabbler, I noticed some missing links in the script, which was compiled in the late 1980's. I have been trying to remember when the Millers bought, restored and sold the house--I think it must have been around 1973----1980. He wrote a book about the work they did in the house, and another about the collection of tea pots--regrettably I have neither in my possession.

At least the Capability Brown involvement is recorded, and wonder how and why there was ever a question mark over that. No matter, it is now a case of moving forward.
oceanbreeze

Return to Ampthill Park