Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Who made the error ? AP Trees chopped by mistake ?

Ampthill's beautiful and historic amenity

Re: Who made the error ? AP Trees chopped by mistake ?

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:05 pm

It's the cart before the horse syndrome, as usual.
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:28 pm

I am not sure why is is necessary to be so rude and unfriendly, I understand that some people are upset and others are not seeing that there is any wrong doing, but there is no need to be rude and name calling on here.

This should be a friendly forum offering help and advice and information to others.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby sioux » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:58 pm

We are British we like to have our say. It is a friendly site. The council don't always get it right.
sioux

Postby SCRABBLER » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:56 pm

I don't think anyone is really being VERY rude about what is going on in the Park. Be it the trees or the Hub.
I think on the whole the Towns people get it right. They see the mistakes, and they know that at times more thought should be given to what goes on.
You can't blame them for having their say. This is perhaps the only place they can actually have it and do, to see if others agree. And maybe they
get a bit hot under the collar - BUT then who wouldn't over some of things that go on, and of course they (we) have to live with others mistakes!!!
SCRABBLER

Postby sioux » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:40 pm

The council want the public to take pictures of Ampthill park as it is now for next years Calendar. Any one got any ideas. .? I should scrap next years calendar.
sioux

Postby Chorradas » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:14 pm

BoS had interesting letter from an Ampthill resident:

IN reference to last weeks article about felling the wrong trees, the anonymous note ends 'make them pay'. The people who love Ampthill park are paying with their despair, future generations will be poorer for missing the experience of these wonderful trees.

This was unbelievably the only example of self-sown aak woodland in the park, containing the most bio-diversity, it is also the only place in the park which would have looked vaguely familiar to Henry VIII. How can you have a Great Park without any real park?

This woodland has been lost for purely cosmetic reasons and is an insult to all those former park keepers who had the foresight to re-wild our park. Central Beds Council is the custodian of our amenity trees and must act now, otherwise we will lose countless trees to the 'Ampthill Park makeover' defence.

Local people do not want a phony theme-park. Capability Brown never came to Ampthill, the work wasn't completed until 60 years after his death and is at best a very poor example of his work. This whole scheme laughs in the face of nature, history and public opinion, please stop all work on this ill-conceived project now while this is investigated.
Chris Lowe
Station Road
Ampthill
Chorradas

Postby sioux » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:17 pm

Good one. :Be
sioux

Postby Chorradas » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:35 am

Chorradas wrote:BoS had interesting letter from an Ampthill resident:

Hmm, this letter has now appeared on the AmpthillTV Howie Facebook page with a rather interesting comment underneath from that local hack we all love to hate. He says: "I am delighted to see this letter reproduced here, You know, I twice posted it on the rival Ampthill Info Facebook page because I thought local residents may be interested in the sentiments expressed by Mr Lowe. But obviously I was very wrong and Mr Lowe's letter was of absolutely no interest to anybody because the administrator and owner of the site, who I understand is an Ampthill Town councillor and therefore understands such things far better than I do, quickly removed it both times."

See - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1505586610
Chorradas

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Chorradas wrote: the administrator and owner of the site, who I understand is an Ampthill Town councillor and therefore understands such things far better than I do, quickly removed it both times."

If this is who I think you mean Chorradas, it is par for course. This gentleman thinks he knows it all, but doesn't, and he will not be told, even by
those who know better and have lived in Ampthill a good deal longer than he has!!
Councillors who cannot take the odd criticism should not be doing the job. It goes with the territory.
SCRABBLER

Postby sioux » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:25 pm

Report him to someone and sack him. Perhaps needs to retire.
sioux

Postby Costalot » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:14 am

What an odious man. How dare he offend our resident hack. What a heinous act. He should be hung drawn a quartered. :twisted:
Costalot

Postby sioux » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:02 pm

Put it in the Beds on Sunday. We all know a man who can. Shame him. :oops:
sioux

Postby Chorradas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Costalot wrote:What an odious man. How dare he offend our resident hack. What a heinous act. He should be hung drawn a quartered. :twisted:

Well, I think that's probably going just a little too far, Costa. Whether he offended our resident hack or not is irrelevant. And being hung, drawn and quartered is rather drastic. Perhaps merely being boiled in oil and then having his head impaled on a spike in the market square would suffice? Surely the point is that this man, a town councillor (let us call him "Mustapha Mond"), runs a Facebook page which he calls "Ampthill Info". Info, I guess, is short for "information". But postings which criticise the council (and by implication, him too) over the felling of the park trees are being removed. This letter from somebody called Chris Lowe was not offensive or defamatory, but merely expressed an opinion. It boils down to a councillor thinking he has the right to decide what information we residents should and should not be given. That smacks of Big Brother to me. And if that is the attitude of his council colleagues too, then no wonder we residents get so exasperated about certain things which happen in the town.
Chorradas

Postby sioux » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:49 pm

What's his name ?
sioux

Postby Costalot » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Chorradas wrote:

Well, I think that's probably going just a little too far, Costa. Whether he offended our resident hack or not is irrelevant. And being hung, drawn and quartered is rather drastic. Perhaps merely being boiled in oil and then having his head impaled on a spike in the market square would suffice?

I agree I probably went too far. However I would question if that hack is any better. He is well known for inventing stories for our local rags and I guess it could be argued by posting to that facebook page he was refueling a story. Wouldn't mind if he ever had a good word to say about the town. Guess a case of 'pot and kettle'

Shame but so much good goes on in the town and he chooses not to report that. Instead stirring things up and upsetting people.

Fault on both sides then
Costalot

PreviousNext

Return to Ampthill Park