Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Famous people seen in Ampthill

A place to chat about TV, Music, Films and anything else related to the entertainment business

Postby Eskdale » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:41 pm

I think Ian Wright lives in Totteridge (NW London) - I used to see him often in the Orange Tree pub when I lived in the area.
Regards
Brad
Eskdale

Postby oceanbreeze » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Jennie Linden, Silsoe I think.
Cleo Lane and Johny Dankworth , still at Wavendon
Karen ??? 'stand in' for Diana Rigg, Ampthill.
oceanbreeze

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:13 am

dark angel wrote:i heard the lad who played ollie in the program little devil with robson green
lives in the town, he also did the starburst advert.
i think some one said he also is a paperboy at martins

My son said he recognised him and goes to Alameda - but I couldn't find out anything about him so was never sure although too much of a coincidence as the names matched!. His name is Joe Friend
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:14 am

Brad wrote:I think Ian Wright lives in Totteridge (NW London) - I used to see him often in the Orange Tree pub when I lived in the area.

he was on camera and made the news, not long ago, outside his house as his 'mate' attacked a traffic warden. I think it was near St Johns Wood - is that there?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Eskdale » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:47 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:
Brad wrote:I think Ian Wright lives in Totteridge (NW London) - I used to see him often in the Orange Tree pub when I lived in the area.

he was on camera and made the news, not long ago, outside his house as his 'mate' attacked a traffic warden. I think it was near St Johns Wood - is that there?

It is only 8 miles or so away, so that would seem likely. One of the old Spurs players drinks regularly in the Orange Tree and I have seen a few other 'past' players in there, so I guess that is his reason for visiting.
Regards
Brad
Eskdale

Postby Eskdale » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Out of interest, I took a look at the Orange Tree (and footie player connections), and found this piece by David Ginola (of hairstyle fame)...

"I lived in Totteridge, next to Mill Hill," Ginola recalls. "I used to live 200 yards from Arsene Wenger and the Orange Tree was the pub where the Arsenal fans went. When I signed I knew of the clubs' rivalry but I didn't know about the pub. So we played on the Saturday and on the Sunday I went to the pub".
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... _id=503812
Regards
Brad
Eskdale

Postby sizzla » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:17 pm

I saw the guy from Jeeves and Wooster walking into town from the Flitwick direction this afternoon, so I now know that his association with Ampthill is no myth.
sizzla

JOE FRIEND / SAM FRIEND

Postby jolly » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:36 pm

Joe and Sam Friend both live in Ampthill.

Joe was in little devil and the starburst advert .

Sam has been in Carries war, The Queens nose, and adverts.
jolly

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:13 pm

old lutonian wrote:Brian Clemens wrote 'The Avengers', 'Bugs', some James Bond films and 'Highlander' lives down the lane opposite Huntings (that was). He often has famous celebs staying with him.

there is an article in the Times today about Brian Clemens - just googled him - I didn't realise how much he wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0166018/
CraftsbyCarolyn

Re: Famous people seen in Ampthill

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 pm

On the week of the 12th of September I saw Raymond Austin, the TV director and writer in town. Long ago he lived in Millbrock. I have seen him return many time over the years. he visits Brian Clemens another writer of Avengers fame and many other show and plays.

I found this on internet for those of us that remember way back, :lol:

Raymond Austin, director/producer/screenwriter and novelist is known in the U.S.A. and U.K. for his prolific work on many television programs. He made his U.S. feature film debut as a stunt man in Spartacus. He also appeared in television episodes on such action shows as Highway-Patrol, Peter Gunn and Have Gun Will Travel. Austin returned to England and was appointed stunt director for Cleopatra, and then second unit director/stunt coordinator on the Rome location. He continued working as a stunt director and actor in several more films, including, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. He also acted in episodes of the Saint, Avengers, and many other English television shows. In the late 60s, he began writing television plays whilst he was stunt coordinator and 2nd unit director of The Avengers. The rest is history; becoming director of the Saint, and The Avengers. He also directed such distinguished television shows including The Prisoner, Black Beauty, The Champions, Jason King, Department S, Hitchcock Presents, Space 1999 and many other English television shows. In 1970, Austin was named “Outstanding Producer/Director, and Writer of the Year” by the London Film Festival for his short film The Perfumed Garden. He was nominated for the same award the following year for another short film, The Sandal, which earned him honors at the Cannes Film Festival. In 1972 he became producer/directed/writer on Shirley’s World, the American television show. He returned to the U.S.A. and has worked on scores of television shows as director/producer/writer. In addition he lectured on the film and television world at UCLA, the LA Actors Play House, and the London Film School. Austin, still maintains a busy career, directing episodes of television series. His novels include, The Eagle Heist, Dead Again, Your Turn To Die. and Find Me A Spy, Catch Me A Traitor.
To name but a few of his television credits: Jag, Police Academy, The Professionals, Silk Stalkings, Pensacola, Heaven Help Us, High Tide, Highlander, Zorro, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Dirty Dozen, Return Of The Bionic Man And Bionic Woman, Our House, Spenser, Fall Guy, The Zany Adventures Of Robin Hood, The Return Of the Man From Uncle, Tales Of the Gold Monkey, Simon and Simon, Magnum P.I, From Here To Eternity, Quincy, House Calls, West World, Vegas, Hart To Hart, BJ And The Bear, Salvage, Wonder Woman, Hardy Boys, Barnaby Jones, and Hawaii 5-0. The list goes on.
Toby

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:39 pm

How did you recognise him?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby sizzla » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:10 am

At this rate we're going to have LA-style tours of the homes of the celebrities, complete with maps and tourist tat!
sizzla

Postby wotcha » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:48 pm

It must be Waitrose that attracts all such glitteratti to Ampthill - I always said Budgens did nothing for the town. :D

I am also intrigued how people recognise these celebs - ok I accept I've not even heard of most of them, but even those I have heard of I'm sure I wouldn't recognise them. Take David Ginola for example - he was on telly the other night - the caption said it was DG, he spoke like DG - but he had short grey hair not the long dark flowing locks of the adverts - I didn't even recognise him when I knew who he was, so if I ever tripped over him in the street I definitey wouldn't recognise him. :D

Perhaps I don't watch enough telly, read enough Hello or watch enough YouTube :mrgreen:
wotcha

Postby zs14 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:43 am

Emma Robbins, brunette out of Shelia's Wheels and sister to Amy and Kate Robbins, lives around Station Road area
shes also married to Simon Shelton who played Tinky Winky in teletubbies :)
zs14

Postby Memory Lane » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:12 pm

I saw Barry Fry, Peterborough United Director of Football in Waitrose recently. His 4 x 4 had the number plate POSH.
Really POS11 and made into POSH by having a white screw top half way up the middle of 11 - clever.

(From Wiki :- Barry Francis Fry (born 7 April 1945 in Bedford, England) is an English football manager. A former Manchester United apprentice as a winger, his playing career involved brief spells with Bolton Wanderers, Luton Town and Leyton Orient, before he retired prematurely due to injury.
He has managed Dunstable Town, Bedford Town, Maidstone United, Southend United, Barnet, Birmingham City and, most recently, Peterborough United. Fry is currently director of football at Peterborough.)
:D
Memory Lane

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment