Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Digital 3D films

A place to chat about TV, Music, Films and anything else related to the entertainment business

Digital 3D films

Postby masquerade » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Saw Disney Pixar's latest film - Up - today at the Cineworld in MK in Digital 3D - the film and the 3D effects were very good and it seems that 3D is making a comeback. Not sure how the technology works, but the glasses aren't the old style red and green ones and the picture itself doesn't look like old 3D films which had green and red tinges to them - it just looked slightly blurred when watched without the 3D glasses on.
masquerade

Re: Digital 3D films

Postby Sagitar » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:39 pm

masquerade wrote: Not sure how the technology works, but the glasses aren't the old style red and green ones and the picture itself doesn't look like old 3D films which had green and red tinges to them .

You must be going back a long,long way. The 3D films that I saw 50 odd years ago were in full technicolor and used polarising specs. I assume that the two images must have been polarised at right angles to each other, but I think the modern ones for use with LCD and digital cinema films use a circular polarising technique.
Sagitar

Postby sarek7 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:46 pm

I'm no expert but i believe it is filmed from 2 slightly different angles, then spliced together.
If you can be bothered to read through the following links (I can't) it probably tells you how it's done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_film#T ... present.29

http://www.howstuffworks.com/
sarek7

Postby Der Kaiser » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:53 pm

I've seen Beowulf and Journey to the centre of the earth in 3-D at MK and they were both fun.

I believe the Disney Christmas Carol film will also be 3-D so that's Christmas Eve taken care of!! :san
Der Kaiser

Return to Entertainment