Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Recent viewing

A place to chat about TV, Music, Films and anything else related to the entertainment business

Re: Recent viewing

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Quite a way from Fenny Stratford station to Olney, good programme - do enjoy his travels
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby sizzla » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:41 pm

I tuned into this show for the first time and found it more of a vehicle for Mr Portillo and his strange selection of clothes and double entendres than a programme about the railways. The detour to Olney was particularly odd - it used to have a station but this didn't seem to warrant a mention and why (and how) he went there from Fenny Stratford is a mystery.

But it's entertaining, especially in comparison with other offerings on TV at the moment.
Last edited by sizzla on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sizzla

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:16 pm

he seemed to give the impression that Olney was just down the road, and like you say no mention of Olney station and where it used to be.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Sveti » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Watched it tonight, going from Nottingham. Loved it.

Think he wears those bright clothes so he is seen clearly among the crowds?
Sveti

Postby Paradise_Alley » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:23 am

sizzla wrote:I tuned into this show for the first time and found it more of a vehicle for Mr Portillo and his strange selection of clothes and double entendres than a programme about the railways. The detour to Olney was particularly odd - it used to have a station but this didn't see to warrant a mention and why (and how) he went there from Fenny Stratford is a mystery.

But it's entertaining, especially in comparison with other offerings on TV at the moment.

I didn't know Olney used to have a station. I suppose as Mr Portillo was following an 1840s guide book they can get away with it. I must miss all the double entendres. I didn't have him down as a latter day Kenneth Williams.
Perhaps he used a bus replacement service to get from Fenny Stratford to Olney. Or cadged a lift with the crew.
I like the programmes but they still send me to sleep. I dozed off on his arrival at Olney so missed that and the Newport Pagnell bit. One for the I-player.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby SCRABBLER » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:17 pm

If you dozed off P_A, you really must be as old as your photo appears. :lol: :lol: :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby Paradise_Alley » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:53 pm

I have been noticing the double entendres now. His aren't the Carry on up the Terminus sort.
He's in Europe presently. Spain earlier this week and Italy the last couple of days.
Venice looked VERY NICE today. Although folks have told me it's more than a bit WHIFFY there.

As an aside, that Bradshaw bloke must have lived to a good age if he was doing British guides in the 1840's and following it up with a European one in 1913.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby Sagitar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:51 am

Paradise_Alley wrote:As an aside, that Bradshaw bloke must have lived to a good age if he was doing British guides in the 1840's and following it up with a European one in 1913.

I think by the end of the organisation Bradshaw was a corporate entity and the founder was long gone.

I suspect that the nationalisation of the railways was the beginning of the end of the organisation. Before that I think the various railway companies published their own timetables, but if you wanted to change between them, Bradshaw's was the answer.

I lived in the north west of England and mainly used the LMS (London Midland and Scottish) and LNER (London and North Eastern) trains, but I also used Southern and Great Western occasionally. When I was travelling by train in the 1950's, after Nationalisation, Bradshaw's was published as a monthly timetable and didn't look anything like the booklet that Michael Portillo pops in his pocket.
Sagitar

Postby Paradise_Alley » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Fans of Mr Portillo's travels might like to know that it would seem he visits Bedford and Luton on this Thursday's (29th) episode.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby sizzla » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Paradise_Alley wrote:Fans of Mr Portillo's travels might like to know that it would seem he visits Bedford and Luton on this Thursday's (29th) episode.

Let's hope he's not taking the Thameslink line, me might not make it.
Last edited by sizzla on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sizzla

Postby Memory Lane » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:26 pm

sizzla wrote:
Paradise_Alley wrote:Fans of Mr Portillo's travels might like to know that it would seem he visits Bedford and Luton on this Thursday's (29th) episode.

I also like his programmes. I think he has to visit things mentioned in his Bradshaw so when in Luton - I bet he involves The Hatters, that is the Straw Boater makers and not our brilliant Football Team. As for Bedford - how about the River by the Town Bridge.
Memory Lane

Postby Paradise_Alley » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:32 pm

I was a bit put out to see the lady working on the boater in Luton wearing a West Ham top.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby old lutonian » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:55 pm

Yes, I thought the West Ham top was rather distracting. A Luton Town shirt to represent The Hatters would have been far more appreciated.
old lutonian

Postby Paradise_Alley » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Followers of Mr Portillo's gallivanting may be interested to know he's at it again with NEW trips.
Annoying these started last Monday and currently only 3 weeks worth are listed.
Wk 1 - Last week - Carlisle to Alton
Wk 2 - This week - Dover to Porthcarno
Wk 3 - Next week - Birmingham to Dartmoor.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby SCRABBLER » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:53 am

Didn't someone say that he is going to the USA to do a train trip - with out Bradshaw's of course!!
SCRABBLER

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment