Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Houghton House and Kings Wood

Houghton Conquest, Marston, Millbrook, Stewartby and Wixams development

Houghton House and Kings Wood

Postby masquerade » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:35 pm

We went on a walk today starting near Houghton House and ended up in the Kings Wood - this is a place I hadn't come across before and looks an excellent place for picnics or walks in the spring time - mind you the weather today was fine.

This link takes you to a map and more info on a circular walk which takes you to Houghton Conquest and back:

http://www.marstonvale.org/outabout/houghton/map.html

http://www.marstonvale.org/outabout/houghton/
masquerade

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:36 pm

Thanks for the map - I will do this one day
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby woodlandsguy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:48 am

might be a nice walk, but on the 23rd of december we decided to walk from the town up the hill, then down the concrete road to Houghton House.

The top of the service road was covered in litter, in fact the whole service road looks like its become a fly tipping site,sponsered by macdonalds

the most worrying thing was along the road mainly in the lay by/passing place area's where several dumped hypodermic syringes used by drug takers.

nice!!!

Dog walkers and families with children be warned, before you get Hep B or worse from this mess
woodlandsguy

Postby sarek7 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:01 am

Used to do this walk with my dog & kids when I lived at Houghton.
The only danger was from the grazing cows at the end of Rectory Lane!
sarek7

Postby Fortytwa » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:54 am

there are a whole host of walks in that neck of the woods (so to speak). It all depends on how far you want to go and for how long.

I have a circular route which can take you from the car park in Ampthill park around the western edge of the park, across the field on the north side, then across the fields in front, to the layby on the B530. There is a footpath along the northern edge of Hunting engineeering with which follows the bottom of the hill. Stay on the footpath into kings wood and then you either go through or around the woods to the very top.

Follow the greensand ridge walk back towards houghton house as you get to the reservoir depending on time etc continue ahead along the concrete path into ampthill park for the shorter journey or turn left down the hill for slightly longer one. At the bottom of the hill cross the cattle grid and immediately on your right is a stile - over you go and follow that path to the rear of st andrews church. Either turn left to go to Church st or turn right to go up holly walk and back into the park.

That one should be about 1 1/2 - 2 hours depending on pace conditions etc.

I enjoy the walks back along the green sand ridge walk from Eversholt to Ampthill. This takes anywhere between 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

I am pleased this subject has popped up. I was considering offering some form of guided walks around Ampthill (cross country rather than round the town) and was wondering if there would be much take up.

I am not interested in charging any fees - simply looking to make people aware of what is around them and some banter on the way round

If anyone is interested let me know.

There are a few pictures of the bluebells in Kings wood and others of the greensand ridge at this link

http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/14120

Happy days

Dennis
Fortytwa

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:08 pm

...just been looking around the forum to see how to get to Kings Wood as it sounds nice with the bluebells. Not sure I quite understand the directions from the park.

Will have to look at it on google maps.

Thought this post might interest some others.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Re: Houghton House and Kings Wood

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Finally took a walk over there yesterday morning - what a fantastic place. Isn't the house just next to the wood in a fantastic position?

I went out the back and up Gas House Lane, then did a right when I go to the farm and followed the track along.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Fortytwa » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:48 pm

I was tempted to go up there this afternoon but chose the Two Moors Hertiage Trail instead.

Anyhoo - as you described Carloyn, cross the cattle grid and turn immediately right and then follow your nose to the woods.

You can also having crossed the grid continue for about 20 yards then there is a path that cuts across the field and takes you up the edge of the farmhouse. At the end of the path you reach the farm track (which is the Greensand Ridge) all the way into the woods.

Gas house lane is the original track to the farm house (which supplied produce to Houghton House).
Fortytwa

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:12 pm

Fortytwa wrote:
Gas house lane is the original track to the farmhouse (which supplied produce to Houghton House).

My friend lives in the house at the end of the lane that used to be the farmhouse, I guess that is the one you mean (the footpath goes to the right of it). The drive used to be tree lined and they did plant some back a few years ago.

We came back along the fields - although was a bit muddy the one we chose!
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:58 pm

been to Kings wood today - and all of the bluebells are out - worth a walk there if you fancy going somewhere. Took some snaps - sorry not up to the standard of others on here - but you get the idea - you should be able to click through for larger images:
Attachments
Dscf1256.jpg
Dscf1272.jpg
Dscf1242.jpg
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby nannie mary » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Many thanks for the pics Carolyn. I can almost smell the greenery and the bluebells.
nannie mary

Postby Sveti » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Lovely pics Carolyn, must try to get up there.
Sveti

Return to North of Ampthill