Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Brilliant first day of 2013

Houghton Conquest, Marston, Millbrook, Stewartby and Wixams development

Brilliant first day of 2013

Postby Sagitar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:59 pm

A cold morning (4 degrees C when I set out) but beautifully clear and sunny. My starting intention was to walk around Warren Wood, but when I got there it was so slippery under foot that I deemed it too dangerous for my old bones and reversed course to walk through Millbrook and back to Ampthill through the Park. I took a load of pictures; most of them are pretty cliched, but took only a compact camera and wanted to see what it could manage.

Can't ever resist a shot of this dead tree by the roadside;

. . but had to wait for a while to get this "mirror" shot of the fishing pond, because the ducks persisted in disturbing the water.

These sere oak leaves still hanging on were a surprise, but they were well sheltered in the hedge.

The galls were much less of a surprise,

I included a cluster of pics of the current situation on the corner of the Center Parcs site closest to the new roundabout because it is a bit of an eyesore at present and looks rather like a tip. I hope it will not be permanent. Perhaps they are using it as a temporary store for spoil from other parts of the site?

In places, the spoil seems to have blocked the natural surface drainage, but the path is still passable without too much trouble providing you are wearing stout shoes . . . . .

. . . . . or on horseback . . . . :D

The volume of rain recently has obviously not helped and it is clear how the spoil has been cut into by streams of water.

The walk down into Millbrook was very quiet. I am always struck by the huge difference in light in the upper and lower parts. Some parts of the village are really very dark, even on a bright winter day.

The southern side of the church was beautifully lit . . . . .

. . . . and there are great views across the countryside from behind the church, both to the north west . . . . .

. . . . and the north east.

Following the direct path back towards Ampthill took me right past the very contented looking Alpacas

The path entering the Park was very wet and muddy and I noticed one or two runners have difficulty with it. The Park itself however was in very good shape (though I did keep away from the northern boundary where the path was very muddy when I walked it a few days ago) and it was a pleasure to see the large number of people obviously enjoying it. We are very lucky to have such a wonderful facility.

Sagitar

Re: Brilliant first day of 2013

Postby old lutonian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Absolutely stunning pics. Thank you for posting them Sagitar. We are so lucky to have this countryside on our doorstep.
old lutonian

Postby Sveti » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Wonderful pics, as always. Feel as if I have been on a long, lovely walk - thank you!
Sveti

Postby oceanbreeze » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 pm

The mirror image was well worth the wait!
oceanbreeze

Postby nannie mary » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:28 pm

Thank you for the pictures. Makes me realise how much we missed when younger. Now too infirm to do any distance walking. The advice I give - DO IT WHILST YOU CAN. !!!!!!
nannie mary

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:08 am

nannie mary wrote:. Now too infirm to do any distance walking.
Me too, so am grateful for the lovely pictures Sagitar. The most I can now do is a short walk in the Park - from the gates in the far Car Park to the top of the Hill to have a look at the view, and then back again. My Dad walked every day of his life and lived until he was 102 - so I am sure Sagitar, knowing how far you can walk, we are going to enjoy your pictures for a very long time to come!! :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby groutman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Sagitar wrote:. . but had to wait for a while to get this "mirror" shot of the fishing pond, because the ducks persisted in disturbing the water.

As has already been said, excellent pics, as usual.

This one reminds me of one that I have taken where I have 'flipped' it, so the reflection is on top to give a surreal effect!

Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
groutman

Return to North of Ampthill