Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Chat about public transport, taxis, car parking or anything else to do with transport in the area

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:30 pm

I have asked on here facebook

https://www.facebook.com/letstalkcentra ... ed_comment

Hi Carolyn, the road closure is for resurfacing and anti-skid works. There will be a crossing point installed for equine users and this is linked with the Center Parcs development.
User avatar
CraftsbyCarolyn
 
Posts: 10789
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Ampthill
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby masquerade » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Will it have lights? -- seems to be an odd place to put a crossing -- do other Center Parcs have "equine" routes outside their boundaries?
masquerade
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:23 pm
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:07 pm

I will be able to report back tomorrow whether it has lights - this is the only info they gave
Attachments
layby.jpg
User avatar
CraftsbyCarolyn
 
Posts: 10789
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Ampthill
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby masquerade » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Saw the flashing sign warning of the closure this evening -- wonder how the diversion will work and what the crossing will look like
masquerade
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:23 pm
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby rad1cal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:13 am

Not a great deal of change apart form a few signs and some new red paint along the lines seperating the lanes. If I were in any way inclined to ride a horse, I would not like to be in the position to have to cross the road at this location.
rad1cal
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 1:22 pm
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Nice red stripe down the middle of the road, which I guess I should know what that means :oops: , I have recently given away the theory test book, and can't find it by searching. :oops:

And it does have a different surface between the fence. So presumably you can 'hire' a horse from CP and go riding as a novice? that is quite a scary place to cross.
User avatar
CraftsbyCarolyn
 
Posts: 10789
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Ampthill
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby masquerade » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:59 pm

...and a couple of "xxx yards to a horse and rider" signs -- I really think that this is a dangerous road to consider crossing and why are there no lights as there are near the roundabout?
masquerade
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:23 pm
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby Paradise_Alley » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:39 am

I suppose the visibility at that point is about as good as it is going to get on that stretch of road. In with a decent shout of getting hit by a wayward drive off the 13th tee at Millbrook Golf Course to boot.
I'd not fancy sitting on a horse waiting to cross that road. Not that I'd fancy sitting on a horse period.
The same opinion is almost certainly true of the horses regarding me as well.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
User avatar
Paradise_Alley
 
Posts: 3321
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Living the dream.
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby sizzla » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:55 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:Nice red stripe down the middle of the road, which I guess I should know what that means :oops: , I have recently given away the theory test book, and can't find it by searching.


I don't think the red stripe has any formal meaning. The important thing is the white line, which is broken, so you can overtake just like before.

masquerade wrote: why are there no lights as there are near the roundabout?


It's quite a way from anywhere. Perhaps there's no electricity nearby?
User avatar
sizzla
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:05 pm
Location: Ampthill
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby FlatScissors » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Paradise_Alley wrote:I suppose the visibility at that point is about as good as it is going to get on that stretch of road. In with a decent shout of getting hit by a wayward drive off the 13th tee at Millbrook Golf Course to boot.
I'd not fancy sitting on a horse waiting to cross that road. Not that I'd fancy sitting on a horse period.
The same opinion is almost certainly true of the horses regarding me as well.


I suspect that, in practice, this crossing will be used by golf-playing Center Parcs residents to access the Millbrook golf course, on foot.
Οἱ πρῶτοι ἀριθμοὶ πλείους εἰσὶ παντὸς τοῦ προτεθέντος πλήθους πρώτων ἀριθμῶν...
User avatar
FlatScissors
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Exton Close
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:12 pm

I see that they are constructing a bridleway in the wooded area near to the roundabout - so presume it all links up. is it an existing footpath that they are just 'widening'?
User avatar
CraftsbyCarolyn
 
Posts: 10789
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Ampthill
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby Paradise_Alley » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:16 am

FlatScissors wrote:
Paradise_Alley wrote:I suppose the visibility at that point is about as good as it is going to get on that stretch of road. In with a decent shout of getting hit by a wayward drive off the 13th tee at Millbrook Golf Course to boot.
I'd not fancy sitting on a horse waiting to cross that road. Not that I'd fancy sitting on a horse period.
The same opinion is almost certainly true of the horses regarding me as well.


I suspect that, in practice, this crossing will be used by golf-playing Center Parcs residents to access the Millbrook golf course, on foot.


That part of the course is a long way from the Clubhouse and 1st tee.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
User avatar
Paradise_Alley
 
Posts: 3321
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Living the dream.
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby Sveti » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Paradise_Alley wrote:I'd not fancy sitting on a horse waiting to cross that road.


Have to be a very well trained horse to wait patiently there and not get spooked.............could be an accident waiting to happen. :(
Sveti
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:55 pm
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby FlatScissors » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Paradise_Alley wrote:
FlatScissors wrote:
Paradise_Alley wrote:I suppose the visibility at that point is about as good as it is going to get on that stretch of road. In with a decent shout of getting hit by a wayward drive off the 13th tee at Millbrook Golf Course to boot.
I'd not fancy sitting on a horse waiting to cross that road. Not that I'd fancy sitting on a horse period.
The same opinion is almost certainly true of the horses regarding me as well.


I suspect that, in practice, this crossing will be used by golf-playing Center Parcs residents to access the Millbrook golf course, on foot.


That part of the course is a long way from the Clubhouse and 1st tee.


It's not that far, and the paths are already in place in the golf club, see: http://goo.gl/maps/bvVhV, they just need to be surfaced.
Οἱ πρῶτοι ἀριθμοὶ πλείους εἰσὶ παντὸς τοῦ προτεθέντος πλήθους πρώτων ἀριθμῶν...
User avatar
FlatScissors
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Exton Close
 

Re: Bigger layby on A507 -- becomes an ex-layby

Postby Hammer64 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Earlier today my wife and I walked an eight-mile circuit, which included the new bridleway between the south side of the A507 and the north side of the Center Parcs development.

I made a brief diversion to have a look at the new horse rider's crossing of the A507 and remain mystified about its purpose. Although there is a nearby emergency access to Center Parcs, this would not normally be available for residents. The only normal access/egress to Center Parcs will be the main entrance in Fordfield Road, quite a trek to reach the A507 crossing. On the north side of the A507, my maps do not show a public right-of-way directly opposite the newly-installed crossing.

So why the crossing?
Hammer64
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:20 pm
Location: Ampthill
 
 
PreviousNext

Return to Local Transport

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests