Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Parking woes hit the headlines

Chat about public transport, taxis, car parking or anything else to do with transport in the area

Parking woes hit the headlines

Postby masquerade » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:49 am

masquerade

Re: Parking woes hit the headlines

Postby SCRABBLER » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:52 am

Well, well - it must be Election time!!!
Nadine has crawled out from wherever she has been hiding and obviously thinks that this is a vote winner.
Or am I just being too cynical??
Parking is a problem in this Town and has been for years and years, and without spare land available, I can't see what really can be done to
alleviate the problem. Houghton Close is now no longer fit for purpose, especially as it now seems it is catering for some 20,000 people, if we are to
believe what we are being told. No wonder you have to wait three weeks to see the Doctor you are registered with!!!!
Perhaps they should build a new Medical Centre on the land down Abbey Lane - it would be able to cope with all the parking necessary and we
wouldn't have to have more ticky-tacky boxes built there right up to the By-Pass.
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Houghton Close is certainly a mess, but it's only one of many places. What about Dunstable Street, Oliver Street, Arthur Street, top of Station Road, Church Avenue? I'm sure there are others. There seems to be no enforcement of current parking restrictions, let alone any effort to improve the situation for the future.

Whoever is supposed to be responsible for this is doing a woeful job.
sizzla

Postby masquerade » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Indeed -- which of our local councillors are taking this seriously?
masquerade

Postby oceanbreeze » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Well said! The Town is rapidly reaching breaking point.
oceanbreeze

Postby dark angel » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:31 pm

well the new car park on church street will be ready in June we hear. but did you all know you will have to pay to park there :shock: . so option one, pay to park your car and walk up a nice hill, or option two carry on parking where you can in the town and around the side roads etc for free with no hills to walk :)
well I know where im going to park :lol:
dark angel

Postby SCRABBLER » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:26 am

I'm not sure you can free-park anywhere without walking "up hill" (Waitrose excepted) to get to the Town centre. :?
SCRABBLER

Postby Chorradas » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:03 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:we wouldn't have to have more ticky-tacky boxes built there right up to the By-Pass.

With the council seemingly allowing (if not actively encouraging) more and more houses to be built on every bit of free land around the town, the problem can only get worse. What chance that residents of sprawling ticky-tacky estates like Ampthlll Heights, where there are no shops or other amentities, will walk a mile or more every time they want to buy a loaf of bread, visit the doctors or dentists, go for a drink, have a meal, get a takeaway, etc etc? If another 400 houses, with potentially 800 more cars, are built near the by-pass, then the problem can only get even worse. It would be interesting to know just how much the population of the town has grown over the last 10 years, and how much it is projected to grow over the next five. But our councillors just seem to twiddle their thumbs, whistle a happy tune - and up the council tax.
Chorradas

Postby sizzla » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:06 pm

dark angel wrote:well the new car park on church street will be ready in June we hear. but did you all know you will have to pay to park there

So it's taken 10+ years for this car park to come to fruition and when it finally appears you'll have to pay to use it. Doesn't bode well for the Oliver Street side of town does it? Nobody seems to even have started thinking about that yet, and country council even made matters worse by removing public parking at The Limes.
sizzla

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:17 pm

I wonder who will be collecting the money - the town council? I guess they will contract it out as it won;t be worthwhile collecting it - administratively - unless they only take card payments, it costs a lot collecting the cash, banking, reconciling etc.... :)
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby oceanbreeze » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:01 pm

It will be a managed car park, contract.

What is needed is a larger and more robust Town Council, enough is enough. Objections to the larger development on Warren Farm were ignored, and it seems that somewhere along the line, powers that be were easily satisfied with modifications that were made at the time of consultation, despite those who said 'we do not want this development.

Too late now, damage is done so 'whistle the happy tune' and apply some sticking plaster.
oceanbreeze

Postby Costalot » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:09 pm

What is needed is a larger and more robust Town Council, enough is enough

Well I expect we've got an opportunity in May. See the Town Council Facebook feed - http://www.facebook.com/212130325608921/photos/a.212430448912242.1073741830.212130325608921/437220283099923/?type=1&theater
Costalot

Postby oceanbreeze » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Historically it has been very difficult to persuade people to come forward to stand for election, let alone co-option. I am sure that there are people living in the Town who have an interest and would make good contributions to local government, but it seems that, for many, time to spare is at a premium. Clearly committees outside the constraints of Council protocol and time involved, do very well --such as The Festival Committee, Fireworks etc. They work very hard from one year to the next and achieve spectacular results for the events. Similarly action groups that have sprung up from time to time have succeeded, so one wonders what more can be done to see an election this year.
oceanbreeze

Postby sizzla » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:32 pm

sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:54 pm

The booklet is interesting.
I see you only have to have 2 signatures for a nomination paper these days.
In my day it had to be 10!!
There does not seem to be an age barrier either.

My comment to Oceanbreeze with regard to membership of voluntary Committees i.e. Fireworks, Lights etc.
By being a voluntary Member of one these,does not carry with it the responsibility and onus of looking after local residents' concerns that go with being a Councillor. The comparison is not a good one.

If you want to be a good and effective Councillor, not only will you have to attend the Meetings of the Council (whichever one it is, and by the way there is no
County Council now Sizzla) but have to be prepared to be available when needed by any resident who might need your help and advice on occasion.
And by the way, brickbats - there are usually, many. For the most part, people are not aware of what you can and cannot do, as a Councillor

Having said all that, it is a very worthwhile part time occupation. BUT do not go into it unless you have a real feeling for your local community and are
prepared to give up some of your own personal time. And I hope that some of you will stand for the Town Council and that we can, at last, have a proper Election, which has not occurred since around 1992!!! :AA
SCRABBLER

Next

Return to Local Transport