Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

road works

Chat about public transport, taxis, car parking or anything else to do with transport in the area

Re: road works

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:57 am

Do you live in Church Street?????
And you probably do not have to deal with noise made by the heavy traffic that runs around the Town system all day trying
to find a way around the Road Works.
Day or night someone is going to get put out!!
My point was, that if they could get on with the Works over the shortest period of time,with the least inconvenience, it would be better for everyone.
They do it in other Countries - why not here?
SCRABBLER

Postby busylady » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:19 pm

I walked through today and do wonder what they have actually been doing which requires the whole road to be closed. A few dropped kerb areas but still holes in middle of road not repaired yet. here were quite a few workmen but only saw 3 actually working. 1 to move cones if someone needs access and 2 more sitting in vans. We shall see if any new crossing areas are used as most people seem to enjoy crossing by the bank or even on the roundabouts. Was fun to walk on the road though. :)
busylady

Postby mickmc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:22 am

Srcrabbler - In answer to your question- no I don't live in church street I live on Dunstable street so have all the usual day to day traffic to contend with including the school traffic ,busses etc. Now I have all the road works to put up with as well so if it's ok with you I would like to at least get some sleep at night. Some people really do over react to a temporary blip to their daily lives - cheer up worse things are happening around the world.
mickmc

Postby SCRABBLER » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:43 am

Of course, if you live on Dunstable Street you would expect to have traffic passing your door day and night and would be very used to it - finding the silence when it stopped slightly disconcerting.
However, I did not wish to live on a busy thoroughfare, but that is what I have got at the moment, with delivery Ar-tics and all sorts trying to find a way round the Town having been caught out at the crossroads.
The problem seems to be that there is not a finite time limit on the Road Works.
The Shops along Church Street including the Post Office will, I am sure, see a drop in their takings for as long as these Works continue - as will those in
Dunstable Street in due course. (I wonder if the Market had as many visitors as usual yesterday?)
I am sure I am not alone in feeling slightly off key about this problem.
SCRABBLER

Postby oceanbreeze » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:48 pm

Will the traders be able to claim compensation/rebate from their business rates? There will be some considerable impact on footfall as indeed there was during the 're-enhancement' in 2000/1
oceanbreeze

Postby sizzla » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:31 pm

I have inspected the situation in Church Street, following the road closure, and I must say that it is in an absolutely terrible state. I can only assume that what has been done to date was a preparatory exercise and the big resurfacing will be happening later this month.

It's certainly about time the carriageways around town got tidied up so I don't have any complaints. However, you might think that the authorities could have done a better PR job.
sizzla

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:44 pm

Looks like Dunstable street will be closed for next 2 weeks starting monday - 8am to 6pm

then Church street from just after Church Ave across both roundabouts and up Woburn street to the Queens Head will be closed for 1 week starting 24 from 8am to 6pm

there is now more detail on here:

http://roadworks.org/
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Are there any closures this week?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby sizzla » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Oliver Street to A507 this week. 08:00 to 18:00 or something like that.
sizzla

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:06 pm

thank you
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby masquerade » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:20 pm

On Church st they have pushed the 20 mph zone further beyond Church Avenue towards Maulden -- not sure if that is really necessary but once the Old Orchard development is complete we will see the impact.

As for Road Works it seems to be the season all over Beds and MK at the moment!
masquerade

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:03 am

masquerade wrote:On Church st they have pushed the 20 mph zone further beyond Church Avenue towards Maulden

AND they have put 30 mph signs on both sides of the road as you enter Church Avenue.!!
Because of all the cars parked down one side of Church Av. you probably could not go any more than 20 mph at most times
of the day, even if you wanted too. Don't they just love wasting money. :roll:
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:42 am

Road is looking smart now down oast olivef stratt, they must be doing the pavement s as well?

I see faeries and frogs is closed when the town roads are closed.

Flittabus is taking people to the librarh to catcn buses.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby masquerade » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:11 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:Road is looking smart now down oast olivef stratt, they must be doing the pavement s as well?

I see faeries and frogs is closed when the town roads are closed.

Flittabus is taking people to the librarh to catcn buses.

Seems someone is having keyboard problems ;)
masquerade

Postby oceanbreeze » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:10 pm

:ba :lol:
oceanbreeze

PreviousNext

Return to Local Transport