Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

road works

Chat about public transport, taxis, car parking or anything else to do with transport in the area

Re: road works

Postby sizzla » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:06 pm

Eeerily quiet in town this afternoon. All roads into town are effectively shut down.

Also, as Carolyn says, when cars do pass they are nearly silent on the new surface. I wonder if that's just a temporary thing?
sizzla

Postby oceanbreeze » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 pm

Quieter surface --something good has come out of the disruption then. Now all we need is to get rid of the ;pollution------ :ba
oceanbreeze

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:42 pm

sizzla wrote:Eeerily quiet in town this afternoon. All roads into town are effectively shut down.

You are sure that they are not paving the whole area to make it a precinct???? :bo
That certainly would cut down the pollution and probably, most of the noise, kill off the trade and then Charlie Garth would leave Ampthill
becaue he had nothing to write to the papers about!!!! :bs :bs
SCRABBLER

Postby groutman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:08 pm

sizzla wrote:Also, as Carolyn says, when cars do pass they are nearly silent on the new surface. I wonder if that's just a temporary thing?

I am not an expert, but when the new surface is put down, the bitumen is flush with the aggregate, & as you say, it is quiet to drive over.

After some use, the bitumen wears down, so the aggregate stands proud, & the road noise & the amount of grip increases.

I am surprised that there have not been more pictures of the work / disruption on this forum?

Normally Sagitar would be the one to keep us informed - I hope the reason is not health issues.
Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
groutman

Postby Sagitar » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:40 am

Sorry, but I've been trying to stay away from it. The atmosphere doesn't help my breathing.

The lack of up-to-date information about road closures has hit me as much as anyone else I guess. I have three hospital visits scheduled for this week.
I live off Woburn Street and yesterday, I wasn't able to exit the town along Bedford Street as I normally do when going to the Park and Ride on my way to South Wing. Instead I drove to the by-pass, turned right at Millbrook and re-joined my normal route at the B530 north of Ampthill. The journey took a little longer than usual, but only a few minutes. Coming home, there were "road closed ahead" signs in several places along the route, starting at the Retail Park roundabout, together with cones partly blocking the road and giving a clear impression that drivers were being discouraged from going further along the route. There were no indications of the actual location of the closure and on the basis of my earlier journey I judged that the road closure must be the one in Ampthill so I retraced the earlier journey and got home without difficulty.

Today I needed to visit the hospital again for a blood test. This takes very little time normally so I expected to be home again quite quickly. I left home just after nine a.m. It was raining and Woburn Street was clear, with no sign of any work in progress, so I was able to take my normal route along Bedford Street and was at the hospital before 9:45 a.m. and out again by 10:15. Before starting for home, I rang my wife to check the position in Dunstable Street; she said it was blocked and so I decided on the same route as I had used yesterday. When I got to the turn off for Millbrook, it was closed by a line of cones along the edge of the north-bound carriage way. They in turn were guarded by a hard-hatted gentlemen in a day-glo vest. I asked him if he could move a cone so that I could turn around and go back to the Stewartby turn and his answer was, I quote, "I cannot let you in here".

I drove on towards Ampthill, turned around at a lay-by, then back towards Bedford, right turn onto the Houghton Conquest road and drove home via the A6, the by-pass and Woburn Street.

I need to go to the hospital again tomorrow, for treatment dependent upon the blood test that I had today. I looked up the roadworks.org website and it shows no closure of the Millbrook Road, but I am thinking that I will go in along the by-pass and down the A6 to the Park and Ride.

Great fun . . . . . . . :roll:
Sagitar

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:18 am

It does say the works are for 4 days I think.

I have been at work all day, so just drive through the town before 8 am, and by the time I come home they are done for the day and so have driven through again.

I thought they would be doing a longer length of Church St, so the little brick bit they did, but not yet, maybe today.

I see that as we have not had traffic lights by the new houses for a few moths they felt the need to add these back this week also.

Looks like another raised zebra crossing going in. and not sure why the need for so much coming off.

On another note I see that they have new style lamp posts in this bit too, different to anything around here. Some lucky person now has one right outside their bedroom in Church View, not sure if it was a surprise for them.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby sizzla » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:11 pm

I would say that the information and scheduling of the works has been pretty good. The diversions have been less good, and sometimes non existent.

It looks like the guys resurfacing the pavements are slowly making their way along Flitwick Road, towards the town centre. Assuming they are going to do the whole lot, the town is going to look resplendent when finished.
sizzla

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:24 pm

pretty much finished...looking very smart :)
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby oceanbreeze » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:42 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:pretty much finished...looking very smart

ooo cannot wait for some pictures! Also I'd love to lay a bet on how soon it will be before a surface is dug up again for some reason or another-- :shock: :shock:
oceanbreeze

Previous

Return to Local Transport