Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Queen's Road alterations

Chat about public transport, taxis, car parking or anything else to do with transport in the area

Queen's Road alterations

Postby masquerade » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:05 pm

There are now extended pavements on sections of Queen's Road which means that there are only 1.5 car widths in places -- while this makes it easier for people to cross the road it does mean that there will be congestion on what is already a busy road at peak times
masquerade

Re: Queen's Road alterations

Postby oceanbreeze » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Between a rock and a hard place springs to mind!
oceanbreeze

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 am

Didn't realise they were busy l down there too.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:46 am

Went thro' Queen's Road yesterday on my way to Oliver Street.
I am not sure what halving the space to get into and out of Saunders Piece is actually going to achieve?
It may make it easier to cross the road at that point, but, oh boy, is it going to cause mayhem with the Mothers
in their 4x4's.
It was always difficult to negotiate at times of entry and egress from Russell School, but I can only think that it is
going to be a good deal worse now.
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:24 pm

I saw a council notice stuck to a lamp post down there and my feeling (without reading it properly) is that there will be some new parking restrictions coming into force, so maybe the roadworks are part of that grand plan. There is also a new gate at the Oliver Street end of the school, presumably adding a new ingress/exit route to disperse the hoards.
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:24 am

I was just "passing thro'" like so many during the roadworks in Dunstable Street, so of course, did not see a notice.
However, I was also not aware of the new opening to the School which you refer to Sizzla.
Perhaps they will now take out the "green space" which so many park on, and make it a proper parking bay - that at least would help at School Time, :)
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:50 am

In fact, wooden posts have been placed along the boundary between the "green space" and the road to prevent parking there.
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:09 am

I just don't get it!!
Where are all the Mums going to put their cars whilst waiting for little Johnny to come out of School??
Last Term some of them were arriving around 3.15pm to get parking, waiting for the kids to come out, and the roads around were full up.
It was mayhem to get thro' to Saunders Piece and Lea Road during that time.
I just wonder if anyone has the answer. Perhaps, staggard turning out times might help, but I doubt the Ed.Authorities would want that.
We shall see!!! :o
SCRABBLER

Postby masquerade » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Maybe making Queen's Road, Dukes Road and Cornwall Road a one-way system and with parking on one side only might help.

Given Russell has expanded dramatically I can't see the traffic getting any easier even if they try to encourage people to walk there will always be parents or carers who need to take their children by car for many reasons.
masquerade

Return to Local Transport