Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Battle with Squirrels!

Chat about nature...gardening, animals, birds - particularly if spotted around Ampthill

Re: Battle with Squirrels!

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 pm

well whoha thought it.....cheeky birds
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Well the pesky squirrel is back and has attacked my feeder that has held out for years :( So for now I the birds are without nuts! The seed feeder is surviving. I do worry about next doors cat watching the feeders :(
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Paradise_Alley » Wed May 23, 2012 7:11 pm

There are a fresh batch of baby squirrels populating the trees around the garden and most watchable they are too.
Bold little chaps they are too.
I wonder if they can be tamed if I ply them with enough TITBITS.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed May 23, 2012 9:26 pm

I have not seen any babies - but am pretty sure they must be around as the squirrel is eating any bird food he can get hiw paws on - do they have paws?
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Paradise_Alley » Fri May 25, 2012 7:47 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:I have not seen any babies - but am pretty sure they must be around as the squirrel is eating any bird food he can get hiw paws on - do they have paws?

Well, I say babies. They're smaller than the regular squirrels.
Yes they have paws. Or hands. Or something.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby Ampster » Sun May 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Paws or claws??

Take the attack to them - seek them out :D

Grey squirrels' nests - also known as dreys - are made mainly of dry leaves and twigs in the forks of trees, and are usually about the size of a football. They are built fairly high in a tree and lined with dry grass, shredded bark, moss and feathers. Sometimes the gray squirrel may make its nest in a hollow trunk, inhabit a permanent tree den, or take over a rook's nest, constructing a roof for it.
Ampster

Postby Paradise_Alley » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:18 pm

**UPDATE** **UPDATE**

There has been a BREACH of garden SECURITY at my mothers. A deer has been SPOTTED getting past the barricades and fencing and eating my mother's irises.
My mother is LIVID, more so when she found that the deer had left a DEPOSIT on the patio.
My father now has an extra job to attend to over the Easter weekend.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby Paradise_Alley » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:30 am

The squirrels at my mother's have a NEW TRICK.
They have taken to climbing the outside of the drainpipes onto the roof, presumably to eventually access the tree on the other side of the house.
I saw one in action over the weekend and jolly impressive it was too.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby sizzla » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 am

Paradise_Alley wrote:could be large and flat like an OUTSIZED plate.

It may keep the squirrels at bay, but it'll attract partrdiges: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5A4_jU_IFo
sizzla

Postby SCRABBLER » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:52 am

Try living with Hazel Nut Trees overhanging your garden - there is no way that you can stop the Squirrels from getting to the nuts and the consequent mess they make all over my front drive. I get tired of having to sweep up the remains - leaves, small branches and nut cases, some not even opened!!
My neighbours have tried to reduce the problem by cutting the trees back, but to no avail.
Just thank your lucky stars you only have to worry about the Squirrels pinching shelled nuts put out for the birds, annoying though it maybe. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby Paradise_Alley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:55 am

There have been more deer incursions into my mother's garden.
During the recent high winds part of the BARRICADES blew down allowing deer access to my mother's pansies and bay tree, both of which suffered serious impromptu pruning.
My mother was INCANDESCENT with rage about it and the barricades were duly repaired with no little haste.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby Paradise_Alley » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:45 am

The squirrels in my mother's garden had now learned how to remove the top off the bird feeders.
This is much to my father's ANNOYANCE as he has enough difficulty getting the tops off to fill them himself.
Additional MEASURES have been put in place which has let to fury in the squirrel fraternity.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:32 am

I still seem to have squirrel wandering around the garden - but he seems to leave the bird feeders alone, at least whilst I am watching him. I have noticed that the blue tits got through the mixed seed picking up every seed testing it and chucking it on the floor until they find one they like (I think the large sunflower seeds) and then flies off with one. So the feeder is emptied within a day or so and the pigeon, sparrow and blackbird clean it up off the floor.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:47 am

Someone said that if you smear peanut butter on an old tin and put in the garden, the squirrels will spend so much time trying to lick it all off they forget
about the bird feeders. However, I have never tried it. I suppose the other solution would be a shotgun!!!!!!
Anyone for squirrel pie? :lol: :lol: :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby Paradise_Alley » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm

There have been further security breaches in my mother's garden by a local deer.
Her tulips have been devoured as has all her PARSLEY (and there was a lot of it ATAF). So if anyone fancies a bit of rather herby venison, my mothers garden may be a good hunting ground.
Rather predictably she is HOPPING MAD about it.
Security is being stepped up.
To jest pieprzone rondo!
Paradise_Alley

PreviousNext

Return to Nature Watch