Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

out & about this weekend ......

Chat about nature...gardening, animals, birds - particularly if spotted around Ampthill

out & about this weekend ......

Postby groutman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:50 pm

While out & about this weekend, came across the following:-

Brick cap fungus:

Autumn colours:

And again:

Teasel

DSC_0308z.jpg

Paper Bark Maple trunk:

Puffball fungus:

Last edited by groutman on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
groutman

Re: out & about this weekend ......

Postby groutman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 pm

I should add that I need help to identify most of these - I really wish I knew more about these things. :)

groutman

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 am

groutman wrote:I should add that I need help to identify most of these - I really wish I knew more about these things.

The Brick Cap fungus Hypholoma sublateritium is found on stumps of deciduous trees mainly in the Autumn. They are not edible. They taste bitter but smell mushroomy.
Great Puff Balls Langearmannia gigantea are found in gardens, pasture and woods. Their season is anytime from Summer to Autumn. They are uncommon but locally frequent. They are edible when still white and firm and make good eating.
I hope you find this information helpful. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby Sagitar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:40 am

Nice set of pictures. I think I'd have set the horizon a bit lower in the second one and lost some of the foreground leaves.

Sorry I can't help with the unintended rotation of a couple of them. I never had any similar problem.

Thanks for letting us see them.
Sagitar

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:06 pm

these are lovely - the colours are great
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby groutman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:23 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:
groutman wrote:I should add that I need help to identify most of these - I really wish I knew more about these things.

The Brick Cap fungus Hypholoma sublateritium is found on stumps of deciduous trees mainly in the Autumn. They are not edible. They taste bitter but smell mushroomy.
Great Puff Balls Langearmannia gigantea are found in gardens, pasture and woods. Their season is anytime from Summer to Autumn. They are uncommon but locally frequent. They are edible when still white and firm and make good eating.
I hope you find this information helpful. :AA

Sorry, I have just noticed that I said I need help to identify these things - I should have said needed.

Thanks for your help anyway. :)

Regarding whether any fungi are edible, and considering that even experts have been killed, or needed organ transplants after eating wild fungi, unless it is on a supermarket shelf, then I will not touch them.

Some years ago, I came across someone gathering loads of 'mushrooms'. I said to him, that I admired his bravery, and he told me that at that time of year (mid to late April), St. George's mushrooms were the only ones about.

I was certainly not going to take the word of a stranger of whom I knew nothing.

Does anyone else know whether this is a fact or not?

groutman

Return to Nature Watch