Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Garden birds

Chat about nature...gardening, animals, birds - particularly if spotted around Ampthill

Garden birds

Postby Sagitar » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 pm

This miserable weather is keeping me indoors so I had to content myself with trying to get some pics of birds on the feeders in the back garden. All taken through the dining room window and difficult to get anything good given the poor light and the lack of contrast. We have had Goldfinches, Chaffinches and various Titmice on the feeders all winter and it is good to see the Greenfinches back at last.

Sagitar

Re: Garden birds

Postby oceanbreeze » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:45 pm

Definitely brightens up the dreary day! Thank you Sagitar, and a Happy New \year.!
oceanbreeze

Postby dark angel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:15 pm

great pictures, have you seen any robins yet
dark angel

Postby Sagitar » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:19 pm

dark angel wrote:great pictures, have you seen any robins yet

The "yet" word puzzles me a bit. Our robins never go away. They are in the garden all the year round. They tend to feed on the ground though, so I don't catch them on the feeders. They do try to use the feeders sometimes, but they just don't seem to be capable of perching on them. We put food out on the ground for them, but there are bigger birds that compete with them. The ground feeders that we see right through the year include wood pigeons, collared doves, blackbirds and the occasional thrush, chaffinches (they use the feeders too but aren't very good at it), dunnocks and wrens.
Sagitar

Postby SCRABBLER » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:20 pm

dark angel wrote:great pictures, have you seen any robins yet

Can't think why you haven't a robin or two about the garden. I have a couple - in an out and bouncing about. They have learnt that they can use the feeder like all the other birds. Robins really like to pick their food off the ground if they can find it, but when "push comes to shove" they are in there with the best of the other birds. Oh! and thank you Sagitar for your great pics. Nice sunny day today, so hope you can get out for a bit and start "snapping" again. Happy New Year to you all!! :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:04 pm

We have robins all year round. great pics, love the one at the back that appears to be looking into the camera :)

We have robin all year round - never know if there is more than one - or the same one. I have seen 2 in the garden but generally only one at a time.

We have the long tailed tits every day now - they are fantastic to watch - a whole 'crowd' of them come and very noisy too.

Still battling with my squirrel, although have now noted on icy days he can't climb the pole and most amusing to watch as he slides down it! Although he does tend to be very messy and leave loads on the ground for those that like feeding there :)
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby nannie mary » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:20 pm

Love the little bird on the right in the second photo. "Posing" for the camera. Many, many thanks for more beautiful pictures. We have a dearth of birds in our garden despite feeders and a bird table. They seem to get fewer each year. Used to be lots and now we are down to a couple of blackbirds, three collared doves and two pigeons, with a few great tits and blue tits. Only occasional starlings and magpies, jackdaws. A reasonable sized garden and plenty of shelter but I guess that we are just unlucky.
nannie mary

Return to Nature Watch