Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Lone daffodil

Chat about nature...gardening, animals, birds - particularly if spotted around Ampthill

Lone daffodil

Postby Sagitar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:20 pm

First to flower, of a bunch we bought yesterday from Waitrose.

Sagitar

Re: Lone daffodil

Postby SCRABBLER » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:51 am

Mine are coming up quickly now, in the garden - but if we have a cold spell they will be held back.

I have had ONE snowdrop out - where the others are, and why they haven't shown yet, I am not sure.

Like you, Sagitar I have been buying daffodils for the last couple of weeks - I like the tulips, but they do not seem to last as long.
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 am

I have not even wandered around our garden as it is so wet, so not sure what is on its way. lovely pic, although you did have me fooled and thought it was in your garden from the title :)

A friend of mine used to put pop bottles over some in the garden and used to get them up early for picking.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Sagitar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:23 am

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote: lovely pic, although you did have me fooled

It was a dull and miserable day and I was at a loose end. One of the buds on the bunch of daffies bought the day before had popped and it made me wonder whether I could produce a picture that looked as though it was outside. It took me most of the afternoon to get it right.

I lit it with a single diffused light and fiddled with the colour temperature values to try to make it look like soft sunlight. The slightly purply grey background is a flat television screen set far enough back to be out of focus.

I used a long lens (180 mm) to get a natural perspective and put the camera on a tripod because the low light levels required long exposures. I also needed a big lens aperture for the same reason and so I wasn't able to get sufficient depth of field to cover the whole flower head in a single shot. I actually took more than fifty individual frames each focused slightly differently and combined them to produce a single image in which the whole of the flower is sharp but the background is soft. It's a technique called focus stacking.

I think the petals of the daffy look a bit washed out, but it was an interesting exercise and a lot of fun.
Sagitar

Postby SCRABBLER » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Sounds very professional.
Me, I use a box brownie (No, only kidding).
I am afraid I only aspire to a digital camera. Tried to take pictures at night of the last snowfall we had - of course,
didn't work - but then again, I did try. I am quite successful with the odd snap, but have not yet fathomed how to transfer my pics from my computer to this Site successfully - thinking about it, perhaps it's best I don't find out!!!!
Anyway, I always enjoy yours Sagitar. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby The Kitten » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 am

My owner has a large number of snowdrops in the garden, though they are covered with snow at the moment.
My owner is very proud of the garden flowers.
<*)))>< We cats love fish <*)))><
The Kitten

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Oh....... Mia....ow...!!! :roll:
SCRABBLER

and another one

Postby Sagitar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:46 pm

A bit cheeky to put this one in nature watch.

It was given to us by our daughter, for Easter. She knitted it!

Sagitar

Return to Nature Watch