Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Wonderful Waxwings

Chat about nature...gardening, animals, birds - particularly if spotted around Ampthill

Wonderful Waxwings

Postby Memory Lane » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Our area is currently Waxwing heaven mostly Flitwick and at Tesco in particular.

The other day as I was parking to go shopping a flock flew up from the cotoneaster 'hedge' defining the car park boundary behind the recycling area - into a nearby tree where I was able to count 52. Others have reported them in the same place - and at other places around the Town.

They migrate from Northern climes (where they breed) to search for food when it gets cold and snowy - and can be seen in England during the Winter months. The unusually bad weather has caused them to move further south and stay longer than usual.

As they are quite confident around humans they are happy to flock in urban areas searching for berries on trees and bushes in fields, parks, and gardens.
Cotoneaster berries are a favourite. Rarely visit grain/fat feeders - anyone seen any?

Waxwing (7"long)

PS. Any bird photos that I use are copied with the photograhers permission.
Memory Lane

Re: Wonderful Waxwings

Postby Sveti » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:28 pm

No, haven't seen any atall, but shall certainly keep a look out now.
Sveti

Postby Sagitar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:06 am

Likewise. It's a bird that we have never seen in our garden. They are very colourful aren't they and I would love to get the chance to photograph them.

I understand that their visits to the UK are erratic and they are not seen every year; that they live and breed in northern Europe and normally eat rowan berries. I gather that they come over here when either there is a shortage of rowan berries in their home area, or in the wake of a very good year for rowans that results in a population explosion!

We have several Cotoneasters in the garden and they get lots of berries but are bare at the moment.
Sagitar

Postby oceanbreeze » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Apparently there are a lot of sitings in North Norfolk too!
oceanbreeze

Return to Nature Watch