Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Blooming gardens

Chat about nature...gardening, animals, birds - particularly if spotted around Ampthill

Blooming gardens

Postby Sagitar » Sun May 26, 2013 5:19 pm

The fruitless walk to the Kings Arms Yard this morning wasn't entirely wasted. It's amazing how local gardens have sprung into life over the last few weeks when previously everything was so far behind.

The Wisteria on Sandhill House has caught up, though my impression is that the flowers are maybe not quite as colourful as in the past?

The little wall-end garden at the end of Brewery Lane gives me great pleasure every time I pass it. Well done to whoever created and maintains it.

Sagitar

Re: Blooming gardens

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun May 26, 2013 9:17 pm

I thought the wisteria wasn't as vibrant when we walked past last Saturday, but decided that it wasn't quite out. It is certainly a lovely walk along there from the park.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Mon May 27, 2013 11:44 am

I am not surprised that the Wisteria is perhaps not at it's best this year. After the long cold winter we have just had, most of the perennials are not up to their best.I have bank of rhodedendrons in the garden - they are some 40 years old, and always give a good show. This year they are struggling to do half as well as they usually do. The blooms are smaller in size and quality. Never mind, I am sure they will pick up and be back to their old selves next Spring. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby SCRABBLER » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Sagitar wrote:The fruitless walk to the Kings Arms Yard this morning

Sagitar, if you out and about, you might like to take a walk down the Kings Arms Path because in the "Garden" towards the Chiltern Close end you will find
a Fir Pine completely covered with Wisteria in full bloom. The tree must be 40ft tall and the Wisteria has climbed right to the very top and is giving a
beautiful show of flowers which I can see from my front window. I just couldn't believe it when I first saw it. I am sure you would do it justice with your
trusty camera. :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby Sagitar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks for this and the PM - I have to go out this afternoon and may get a chance to divert in that direction.
Sagitar

Postby Sagitar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:57 pm

I did wander over to have a look, but it's a difficult subject, no access and poor colour contrast at the distances involved. I tried this afternoon, but the light was very flat, so went back this evening when there was some sun to start with but it soon disappeared. A couple of pictures are attached, but they are not exciting.

Sagitar

Postby SCRABBLER » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:07 am

Well done - but I do see that you had problems in taking the pictures.
Where I live, I can see the last third of the tree which appears above the house in front of me. All I could see were the flower heads blowing in the wind
climbing right up to the top of the tree. I have lived at my address for almost 50 years and have never ever noticed the Wisteria before, but am familiar with all
the trees in the area. So it was such a surprise - and I have never seen Wisteria climbing a tree before - always on houses.
Anyway, thank you for having a go. :D :AA
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Doesn't it look lovely, I love the effect of flowering shrubs in trees, in Kathy Browns garden she has some magnificent roses through the trees.

We went to the Woburn Open gardens this afternoon -sadly the rain was very heavy, so we didn't see all the gardens and they are not best viewed in torrential rain!

Some lovely gardens - two in particular stood out for me.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby oceanbreeze » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:45 pm

I love the second picture Sagitar, thank you for posting them
oceanbreeze

Return to Nature Watch