Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

It's turning colder

Chat about nature...gardening, animals, birds - particularly if spotted around Ampthill

It's turning colder

Postby Sagitar » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:31 am

It got down to 6 degrees Celsius (about 43F) in the back garden last night. It made me think that I must unpack my winter wheels and give them a clean.

It might have been coincidence, but there was a clear increase in the number and variety of birds feeding in the garden this morning. While we were having breakfast we saw blue tits, coal tits, great tits, goldfinches, chaffinches, dunnocks, robins, a solitary nuthatch (haven't seen this species since last winter), blackbirds, redwings, starlings, collared doves.

We keep the bird table well loaded with a variety food. The most popular item is sunflower kernels, but nyger seed and fat balls also disappear very quickly.
Sagitar

Re: It's turning colder

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:37 pm

It was 4 degrees when I drove to work yesterday, but still some tomatoes left to pick.

I must get the feeders sorted out, as not been doing much over the summer. I do notice that the blue tits pick through the mixed seed until they find a sunflower seed, literally chucking the rest to the ground, for the ground feeding birds to pick up.

Some days they can empty it quite quickly looking for the sunflower seeds! They often take them away to another branch (I have my feeders in a tree) and put it under their feet and peck at it.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:55 pm

We have had a flurry of small birds back for the Winter. The Blue Tits seemed interested in the bird box on the back fence, but perhaps that was because they
were looking for small insects or spiders. I can't put out the feeders yet as the squirrels are still in the oak trees transplanting all the acorns - little blighters!
and they would have all the seeds and nuts out of the feeders in a twinkling of an eye. Still it is nice to see the robins etc once again. Yesterday I had a
wren going round all the conifirs and in an out of the hollies. You can't help but smile when you see a wren. :) :)
SCRABBLER

Postby groutman » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:07 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:It was 4 degrees when I drove to work yesterday

In contrast, one day last week when I got to work (in Flitwick), at about 8:20, the car showed 17°C.

That is not bad even for a summer's day.
Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
groutman

Return to Nature Watch