Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

In the Park

Chat about nature...gardening, animals, birds - particularly if spotted around Ampthill

In the Park

Postby Sagitar » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:32 pm

Going very slowly and with the aid of a walking pole, I managed a couple of miles around the Park yesterday. It was a beautiful day, though very cold, and I left it late in the afternoon in the hope of getting some "warm" light to take some photographs. There was a bit of frost about in shaded places and I was very surprised at how damp and muddy it was in places where I had never previously experienced other than nice dry walking. It is more than two years since I have managed such a walk so I was pretty pleased with my self.

I got an immediate reward in the shape of a very tame thrush that seemed happy to let me get close with the camera.

Otherwise, I just rambled around and took a few snaps that showed, among other things, how the vistas have been opened up in the clearing of scrub and adventitious trees.

The Park was pretty busy in spite of the cold, mostly with dog walkers and what a range of breeds can be seen up there.

The path from the top of Park Hill has had an extension cut through the hedge to allow access to the new house there and I took this panorama to show the recent changes. It seems a long time since it was all allotments.
Sagitar

Re: In the Park

Postby oceanbreeze » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:35 pm

Sagitar, I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your'venture into the Park . Your photographs are stunning, capturing a good clear day . Thank you for sharing them, especially the little Thrush sporting his speckled waistcoat!
oceanbreeze

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:13 am

Glad to hear that you ventured out, was a lovely day - although very cold. perfect for pictures, they are great.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby groutman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:58 pm

Great pictures, as usual.

I thought one picture looked familiar, then checked my previous postings, & this is one I took, at the end of last September.

With hindsight, I should have taken it a bit to the left, or as you have done a bit to the right, & cropped it.

I have not been back since, but really need to.
Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
groutman

Postby Sagitar » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:28 pm

It's a nice comparison. You have a much more interesting sky than in mine and I like the colour temperature in yours. The warm winter evening sunlight doesn't really work very well on the tree. I would have preferred it to look cooler. I might have a fiddle in Photoshop when I have time.

The point of view that you adopt with that tree is very significant. In the plane that I used, the tree is very upright and vertical, but if you walk round to the left you can see that in the plane at right angles the tree is actually leaning backwards quite a lot. Not only that but you start to look down the hill that runs towards the football ground and this exaggerates the appearance of leaning. I'm sure I've got a shot of it. I'll dig it out.

I deliberately avoided getting the memorial into the picture because I felt it distracted. I used a 50mm equivalent lens which let me get close to the tree so that I didn't have to change my position much to get a different view. I also have the benefit of a sort of spirit-level line in my view finder that helps me to keep the camera level when I'm looking at wonky horizons and leaning objects.

Thanks for reminding me about your picture it really adds to my interest in the subject.
Sagitar

Postby Sagitar » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:28 am

I promised to find an image that shows how the tree looks upright from one standpoint but leans a lot from another. I also took the chance while loading the images to fiddle with the colour temperature to get a cooler look. In the upright example I just changed the colour temperature for the whole image. In the leaning version I isolated the tree and changed the colour temperature for the tree alone, leaving the background as it was. I'm not sure that either of them looks properly wintery.

Neither of them is really sharp. They're hand held and I find it difficult to hold the camera still these days. I should have put the camera on a tripod, but that is just more to carry. "There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza, dear Liza". . . . . . :roll:

Sagitar

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:53 pm

like that - I saw this the other day, similar thing :) :

http://interestingengineering.com/wait- ... your-head/
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:41 pm

Why have they left the tree like that? It surely won't grow. It's branches are all gone and it has no crown. I really feel quite sorry for it.
We seem to think that our species is the only one on God's earth that has any feelings. I do not believe that to be true and it saddens me to think
that this tree that has stood there for very many years, and has been a thing of beauty, can be left in such a barren state. If it is decaying from the
inner trunk then it should be taken down. If that is not the case, why leave it so stark and bare?
SCRABBLER

Postby Sagitar » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:01 am

SCRABBLER wrote:Why have they left the tree like that? It surely won't grow. It's branches are all gone and it has no crown. I really feel quite sorry for it.
We seem to think that our species is the only one on God's earth that has any feelings. I do not believe that to be true and it saddens me to think
that this tree that has stood there for very many years, and has been a thing of beauty, can be left in such a barren state. If it is decaying from the
inner trunk then it should be taken down. If that is not the case, why leave it so stark and bare?

It's as dead as a post, but even so it provides habitat for myriad creatures and nourishment for fungi. The life story of a tree in the wild wouldn't normally end with felling so I think it is appropriate that at least a few specimens can be left to demonstrate the normal cycle of return to the earth
As long as it is not dangerous I hope it can be left where it is.
Even a dead tree provides interesting subject matter for a photographer. If I get the chance to visit it again I'll try to take some shots to show how much life it supports.
Sagitar

Postby groutman » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Sagitar wrote:
SCRABBLER wrote:Why have they left the tree like that?

Even a dead tree provides interesting subject matter for a photographer.

Here is the proof :D

Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
groutman

Return to Nature Watch