Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

New Greenfinches

Chat about nature...gardening, animals, birds - particularly if spotted around Ampthill

New Greenfinches

Postby Sagitar » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:01 pm

We haven't seen any Greenfinches for some time, but a small company of them arrived on the feeder during the rain this morning. The light was very poor so I had to wind up the sensitivity to get anything and the pics are a bit noisy in consequence. I guess they must be a recent brood. The rain didn't help with their plumage and the bits of wet food sticking to the outside of beaks isn't pretty.

The Goldfinches have dominated the feeder recently so I wasn't surprised when this one got in on the party.

But it was good to see something else for a change. The tail feathers look as though some development is still due and Mum has obviously not finished teaching table manners.

The poor old titmouse got pushed away from the sunflower kernels, but seemed happy with the fatballs.
Sagitar

Re: New Greenfinches

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:48 am

The only day of rain for a long time and they decide to visit then :) Lovely pics. I do like to see the 'pretty coloured' birds in the garden.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby Sagitar » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:59 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:The only day of rain for a long time and they decide to visit then :) Lovely pics. I do like to see the 'pretty coloured' birds in the garden.

Thanks Carolyn. The Goldfinches are back this morning.

Sagitar

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:58 pm

Ahh came back with the sun out, I love to watch them eating the dandelion seeds, they land on the forcing them to the ground and then eat away, :)
CraftsbyCarolyn

Return to Nature Watch