Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreAmpthill Brewhouse

Buying a radio

Talk about local shops and amenities here. Also if you run a local business - tell us about it.

Buying a radio

Postby Sagitar » Wed May 24, 2017 12:27 am

The radio that we keep on our bedside table has become "cranky" so I decided to buy a new one. I want one that plays music reasonably, that has a clock visible during the night but not so bright that it keeps us awake and that has pre-set channels so that we can change stations easily without too much fiddling. I was prepared to spend up to about £100 for good sound and easy operation.

In the past I would have just have popped into the TV shop in Ampthill and dropped my specification in their lap. Now that they are closed, my only alternative seemed to be to go to Currys in Rope Walk. I visited them today.

They have an impressive range of radios that appear to meet or come close to my specification. They seemed to be priced a little above the versions that I had looked at on the company website, but that seemed fair for the retail service I was expecting. So I asked the first assistant that I saw if someone could show me some of their radios.

He called a colleague to help me and I asked the chap who came across if he could demonstrate some of the radios. That was apparently not possible because there is no radio signal available inside the store. So I was going to have to buy a radio without hearing it.

Next question in relation to a specific model - "this one claims 10 pre-set stations but I cannot see any buttons that will activate the pre-sets, can you show me how it is done"? Answer - "sorry I don't know, but if you buy one it will come with a set of instructions that you can read".

By now I had concluded that there was no advantage in buying retail and that I might as well do some research on-line and buy at the cheapest price I could find.

I am left wondering what is the point of such a retail store.








-
Image
Sagitar
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:58 pm
Location: Ampthill
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby sizzla » Wed May 24, 2017 9:40 am

Sounds familiar, and in my experience a posher place like John Lewis is no better.

You could try a more specialist place like Richer Sounds (there is one in MK by the station) but their customer service can vary.
Last edited by sizzla on Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
sizzla
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:05 pm
Location: Ampthill
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby SCRABBLER » Wed May 24, 2017 12:50 pm

I received a Christmas present of a Roberts Radio. Not specifically a bedside radio, but very good. The instructions were not too bad to get to
grips with. Perhaps they do a bedside radio to suit you. The sound is good, but of course it is all down to the listener.
I have to say, my experience of Curry's is - on a scale from 1-10, 2, and that is being complimentary.
SCRABBLER
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 9:09 pm
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby Sagitar » Wed May 24, 2017 6:59 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:I received a Christmas present of a Roberts Radio. Not specifically a bedside radio, but very good. The instructions were not too bad to get to
grips with. Perhaps they do a bedside radio to suit you. The sound is good, but of course it is all down to the listener.
I have to say, my experience of Curry's is - on a scale from 1-10, 2, and that is being complimentary.


The one that is playing up is a Roberts radio so I'm quite keen to look at some others. There is something wrong with the on/off button. It has become very annoying when switching off. I press the button and the radio switches off; but as I walk away, it switches on again. It may do this several times before I get it to stay off.
Image
Sagitar
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:58 pm
Location: Ampthill
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby groutman » Wed May 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Sagitar wrote:The radio that we keep on our bedside table has become "cranky" so I decided to buy a new one. I want one that plays music reasonably, that has a clock visible during the night but not so bright that it keeps us awake and that has pre-set channels so that we can change stations easily without too much fiddling. I was prepared to spend up to about £100 for good sound and easy operation. -



If you are looking for a radio alarm, this might meet your requirements: -

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-xdr-c1db ... lsrc=aw.ds

I have not actually heard it, but it does have a dimmable display & will also charge your phone!
Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
User avatar
groutman
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: Northampton
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby Sagitar » Wed May 24, 2017 9:37 pm

groutman wrote:
Sagitar wrote:The radio that we keep on our bedside table has become "cranky" so I decided to buy a new one. I want one that plays music reasonably, that has a clock visible during the night but not so bright that it keeps us awake and that has pre-set channels so that we can change stations easily without too much fiddling. I was prepared to spend up to about £100 for good sound and easy operation. -



If you are looking for a radio alarm, this might meet your requirements: -

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-xdr-c1db ... lsrc=aw.ds

I have not actually heard it, but it does have a dimmable display & will also charge your phone!


Thanks. It's one of those that I am looking at, but my wife is preferring the Pure Siesta at the moment.

One of the difficulties is making a judgement about sound quality. It's amazing how variable are the judgements that individuals make when doing reviews. I'm not sure whether it is down to variability in the product or in the ears of the reviewers . . . . . :-)
Image
Sagitar
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:58 pm
Location: Ampthill
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 pm

I don't know why retail places exist either.

Our last purchase from John Lewis was an oven and it is rubbish, none of the things that the salesman said seemed to be true, and clearly not the best price. I was so mad I submitted a very negative comment on the website and they didn't even bother to follow that up, they just published it - I expected more from JL.

My bedside radio has terrible reception and really hard to just get on the station, struggled to find on that wasn't too bright at night too.

trouble is there are so many reviews on the internet they just get overwhelming, and then you get people saying that the product was bad as it was delivered late or other stupid things!
User avatar
CraftsbyCarolyn
 
Posts: 10600
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Ampthill
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby SCRABBLER » Thu May 25, 2017 3:53 pm

In days of old and Men were bold
They could take a radio to pieces,
With paper and string and any old thing
They could cure all it's problems I'm told.

But the Men of old are gone alas alack,
And nobody has quite mastered the knack,
Of using paper and string and any old thing,
So to the shops we go seeking a radio anew
And that's another week's pay we are sure to 'blew'. :lol: :lol:
SCRABBLER
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 9:09 pm
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby groutman » Thu May 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Sagitar wrote:
One of the difficulties is making a judgement about sound quality. :-)


If sound quality is your main priority, then this might be for you. It is a bit (!!!!) outside your budget, at £500 (yes, I know!), but my uncle has one of these, and the sound is amazing. It also has an alarm function, & is much larger than radio alarms.

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/s ... hite_gb_ie
Last edited by groutman on Thu May 25, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northampton Branch Leader.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else.
User avatar
groutman
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: Northampton
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby Clarrie » Thu May 25, 2017 9:47 pm

CraftsbyCarolyn wrote:My bedside radio has terrible reception and really hard to just get on the station, struggled to find on that wasn't too bright at night too.
!


I've rarely been able to get good reception on FM on the wireless. Medium wave and long wave both seemed to work perfectly wherever you went for many years, but then the powers that be phased them out for some reason I never fully understood and said we had to have FM instead. But I find it hard to tune the FM radio in properly. Then there is interference if you go too near or move too far away from the wireless, or put your mobile phone down in the wrong place. And now my car has a DAB radio, which works just fine and dandy – until I drive into an area where there is no reception and then it cuts out. Usually half way through some drama on Radio 4, just when it has reached the exciting part.
Clarrie
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 9:42 am
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby SCRABBLER » Sat May 27, 2017 11:59 am

groutman wrote:It is a bit (!!!!) outside your budget, at £500


Yes, Bose is very good, but Sagita only wants a Bedside Radio. I have a little Bush which works on either FM or Dab. Given as a Birthday present.
Probably cost less than £50. Works quite adequately, sounds O.K, has pre-set, alarm etc., but the light from it in the dark might be a little
on the bright side. But for £500 - that is a bit over the top for a bedside radio, if you are only going to listen to John Humphries at 7 a.m.
SCRABBLER
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 9:09 pm
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby Memory Lane » Sat May 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi Sagitar. Here is the best local retailer that I know of - they operate to traditional standards - not unlike the Ampthill store that closed. http://michaelrpeters.co.uk
User avatar
Memory Lane
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:38 pm
Location: Flitwick and Polis Cyprus
 

Re: Buying a radio

Postby Sagitar » Sat May 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Memory Lane wrote:Hi Sagitar. Here is the best local retailer that I know of - they operate to traditional standards - not unlike the Ampthill store that closed. http://michaelrpeters.co.uk


Thank you. I have already tried to look at Michael R Peters, but their website is down and shows only a message to say they are rebuilding it. It's not possible to look at their stock currently,

I'm happy to say that we have bought a Pure Siesta S2, which seems to do the job very well.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.
Image
Sagitar
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:58 pm
Location: Ampthill
 
 

Return to Shopping, Businesses & Amenities

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron