Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreAmpthill Brewhouse

Moles

Need a plumber, electrician or other trade? Local tradesmen can advertise here - satisfied customers can post recommendations - or you can just ask for advice on who does the best job.

Moles

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:11 pm

We don't seem to be able to discourage moles coming into the garden. 3rd year running now that they start to turn the lawn into soil - very nice soil, but still where we don't want it!

I will be phoning Ivan Williamson of Ampthill, 01525 404335, I was hoping that they would learn their error and stay off the lawn and stick to the land beyond the garden!
CraftsbyCarolyn

Re: Moles

Postby SCRABBLER » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Years ago I remember my Father would find a run that a Mole had made in his lawn and he would put a milk bottle (in the days when there were such things)
down in the mole run duly filled with a supply of earth worms. The mole would go into the bottle for the worms but could not turn to get out. Dad would go
back a couple of days later to see if he caught the little blighter.

Well it's a good story - he never ever caught anything!!!
SCRABBLER

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:13 pm

sounds a bit of a cruel way to go - but clearly they were smart enough to realise! I don't really like getting rid of them - but they just completely ruin the garden.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby SCRABBLER » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 am

They must have caught them in days gone by because there was such a thing as a mole fur stole. And of course what about mole-skin trousers. These days
these are a fashion item now, but the concept must have come from somewhere.
Anyway that doesn't help you get rid of the moles in your garden. Even if you can sit and watch for them, and sometimes you can see the mole hills move so you
know that they are there, they will be gone by the time you get a spade out to dig down to catch them. They really are quite quick on the up=take.
SCRABBLER

Postby oceanbreeze » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:08 pm

Old Mr Spring ( Springy) used to catch the moles for us in Gates House and Avenue House gardens --he would come along with his Springer Spaniels, catch the moles in a trap and then hang them up on the Mulberry tree in the middle of the lawn. One year we had 30 of them!!

My late Mother told me that her Gardeners used to jump on the tumps ( Mole hill) and then spit on them----- the Moles would eventually disappear! Good topsolil too !!!
oceanbreeze

Return to Local Trades