Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

Access Database Writer

Need a plumber, electrician or other trade? Local tradesmen can advertise here - satisfied customers can post recommendations - or you can just ask for advice on who does the best job.

Access Database Writer

Postby maxwiseberg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:27 pm

I need someone to write me a super database to keep track of components, finished products and stock movements between different sites. Who would like to take some of my money? Can anyone recommend anybody? 01525 406600
maxwiseberg

Re: Access Database Writer

Postby LasagneMan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Some questions that a writer would like answered would be:
1. How many components?
2. How many finished products?
3. How many stock movements per week or other suitable interval?
4. Movement between sites. How many sites?
5. Is the database to be a single user version or a multiple user version run on several computers?
6. If a multi-user version, then are all the users in one building/site or is it going to be over two or more sites?
7. How far apart are the sites and what are the network links between them?
Was still reading the Daily Mail online to make sure I've not yet become a grumpy old man.
Then one day, I found I was screaming at the screen.
Now banned from a coffee shop :-)
LasagneMan

Postby LasagneMan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Oh, and how soon!
Was still reading the Daily Mail online to make sure I've not yet become a grumpy old man.
Then one day, I found I was screaming at the screen.
Now banned from a coffee shop :-)
LasagneMan

Postby maxwiseberg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Ok, sort of thought we'd handle more details at the point someone was interested, but you're right, it's a good idea to give an idea of scope....
1. 40 components
2. 35 finished stock items
3. in peak season could be several movements per day, otherwise could be several per month
4. 2 sites at the moment, could be another one or two or three required in the future
5. can be single user, but ideally i guess it'd be 2-4 users. all on same site, networked with wires and wireless.
We would need to be able to add (and retire) components and finished stock items.
Components can be stored at either site. One site is manufacturing, therefore converting various components into finished products (reducing stock of components and increasing finished stock).
maxwiseberg

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Is it worth considering an off the shelf product? There are even free shareware products, just did a quick google for inventory software - and there is a shed load, offering ipad, smart phone interfaces, bar codes etc etc. Maybe not quite what you want?

It might be necessary for someone to help set up, but could give you loads of scope.

I am a bit rusty on access database, not used it for years, although spookily have just got it back at work for working with some databases.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Return to Local Trades