Advertise on ATVAmpthill Print CentreHeathers Cleaning Services

New restaurant

Where are the best places to have a meal or drink locally?

New restaurant

Postby Charlie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:03 am

MasterChef: The Professionals finalist Steve Barringer to open Ampthill restaurant
FRIDAY, JULY 13TH 2018, 13:59
WRITTEN BY: NEIL GERRARD

Steve Barringer, the former head chef of Flitwick Manor hotel and BBC MasterChef: The Professionals 2011 finalist, is to launch a new 24-cover restaurant in Ampthill, Bedfordshire.

The move comes after Barringer and his wife Amy sold the lease for their village gastropub, the Anchor in Tilsworth last month.

The new restaurant will be called Eileen’s by Steve Barringer, after Steve’s grandmother, who inspired him to take up cooking.

Set to open in early August in what was a coffee shop behind Lola Bears Boutique on Dunstable Street, the restaurant will offer relaxed fine dining.

Barringer told The Caterer that he hoped the new, smaller restaurant, would fit in with the needs of his young family while also allowing him to place an even greater focus on his food, which helped the Anchor to earn a Michelin plate in the latest edition of the Michelin guide.

Because of the size of the kitchen at the new restaurant, it will offer two dining options to begin with – a five-course tasting menu (priced at £50-£55) and a seven-course tasting menu (£75).

Barringer is still working on the menu, but dishes will include carrot cooked in lamb fat with variations of carrot and yoghurt and coriander.

“Ampthill doesn’t really have this kind of dining so we spotted a bit of a niche and we want to offer fine dining food without the fuss. I think the area is crying out for something like what we want to do – really nice wine, good food, but somewhere where you can dress how you want and feel relaxed,” Barringer said.
Charlie

Re: New restaurant

Postby CardMan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:11 pm

With those prices they'll be packed every night. :lol:

Who eats a 7 course meal anyway?
http://www.facebook.com/kwalitykards
See us at Ampthill Market.
CardMan

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:51 pm

hmm not sure it is for me - either through cost or amount of courses. But guess some people must like it.

Hadn't even realised there was a coffee shop there.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby sizzla » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 am

Finally, the prospect of somewhere decent to eat in Ampthill. Looking forward to it!
sizzla

Postby CardMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:45 pm

sizzla wrote:Finally, the prospect of somewhere decent to eat in Ampthill. Looking forward to it!

Is there such a thing?
CardMan

Postby SCRABBLER » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:48 pm

I know that everybody likes to eat out these days, but how many eating places can this Town stand? And yet another one to come on stream later in the
new premises at "Nat.West" building. I am sure it is nice to have a choice and this new restaurant seems as tho' it will offer a different ambience, but
it all seems to be getting a bit out of hand. What next - a hotdog stand on the Market Place. Or like America, where you go out for Breakfast. It's coming folks!!!
SCRABBLER

Postby sizzla » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Variety is what it's all about. We have a preponderance of pub grub and Indian places, but nothing like what this fella is proposing.

More power to his culinary elbow I say.
sizzla

Postby CardMan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Nothing for the low incomes though.
CardMan

Postby louise » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm

SCRABBLER wrote:I know that everybody likes to eat out these days, but how many eating places can this Town stand? And yet another one to come on stream later in the
new premises at "Nat.West" building. I am sure it is nice to have a choice and this new restaurant seems as tho' it will offer a different ambience, but
it all seems to be getting a bit out of hand. What next - a hotdog stand on the Market Place. Or like America, where you go out for Breakfast. It's coming folks!!!

White Hart does a great breakfast! Hotdog stand on a Saturday would be a great idea. My kids would love going into town for that. Good idea Scrabbler.
louise

Postby louise » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 pm

CardMan wrote:Nothing for the low incomes though.

This place isn’t for sure and would be for very special occasions for us .. but plenty of others are much cheaper.
louise

Postby CraftsbyCarolyn » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:50 pm

I do like the idea of going out for breakfast, and White Hart is on my list.

Tried Buddies on Northampton - but won't bother again.

Sign is up for the new restaurant, you get to it from around the back of the building near Aragon Housing.
CraftsbyCarolyn

Postby mickmc » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:52 am

Ok I will show my ignorance of the finer things in life - what's a tasting menu - do you feel as though you have had a meal at the end of it ?
mickmc

Postby Charlie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:32 pm

mickmc wrote:Ok I will show my ignorance of the finer things in life - what's a tasting menu - do you feel as though you have had a meal at the end of it ?

A collection of small dishes allowing the chef to show off his brilliance - or, sometimes, lack of it. The French call it a menu degustation. Bit like Spanish tapas, I suppose, only rather posher and grander. And yes, you invariably end up replete.
Charlie

Return to Eating & Drinking